Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac OS X 10.6 Brings Serious Performance Gains

Default Mac OS X 10.6 Brings Serious Performance Gains

Phoronix: Mac OS X 10.6 Brings Serious Performance Gains

While our focus at Phoronix is on testing hardware under Linux, we remain friendly and interested in other BSD and UNIX operating systems too, including Mac OS X . With the launch of Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" we have been particularly interested in it considering the technological advancements that have been made in this update thanks to their large focus on improving the performance of Mac OS X. With that said, we have spent all week working on a grand Mac OS X benchmarking showdown by comparing the performance of the retail build of Mac OS X 10.6.0 to the earlier Mac OS X 10.5.8 through a number of different quantitative tests. We firmly believe that as of right now these are the most detailed desktop performance numbers available concerning Snow Leopard, but we already have more figures on the way. We have performance numbers from not just one Mac computer, but two different setups. Here's to the first 60+ tests we ran!

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14155

Default Good work :)

Nice to read good work.

this litle mac with the nvidia VGA will be very nice to test linux to :-)

Great write up Micheal, FYI the OGL regessions are a "Doh" flub (grrr damn nda's). 10.6.1 should fix it.

I hope other systems will also be 64 bit? Btw. isn't there a mistake in OpenSSL test? My result is ten times better (Arch Linux) XD
    Last edited by kraftman; 08-29-2009 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Great write up Micheal, FYI the OGL regessions are a "Doh" flub (grrr damn nda's). 10.6.1 should fix it.
    "FYI the OGL regessions are a "Doh" flub (grrr damn nda's). 10.6.1 should fix it. "

LOL..... NDA?... LOL

realy there is no need to explain and 10.6.1 will have other regessions with or witout the OGL fix.

the regession is simpel OpenGL3.1 do not work on the same time on the same VGA with OpenCL!
    future OpenGL versions mybe OpenGL 3,3 or 3,4 will fix this.

the Old OpenGL spezification do not cooperat with OpenCL on the same hartware.

Today if you want full OGL speed and full OpenCL speed you need 2 VGA carts. '

Last edited by Qaridarium; 08-29-2009 at 02:44 AM.

Makes me want to try a Mac.

"We were quite appalled with multiple tests exhibiting nearly 50% performance boosts over Mac OS X 10.5.8"

I don't think appalled means what you think it does

Quote Originally Posted by Erikina View Post
    Makes me want to try a Mac.

"We were quite appalled with multiple tests exhibiting nearly 50% performance boosts over Mac OS X 10.5.8"

i wait for the test macos vs ubuntu9.10 on an nvidia VGA.

i think ubuntu will win most of the benchmarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    i wait for the test macos vs ubuntu9.10 on an nvidia VGA.

i think ubuntu will win most of the benchmarks.
    Probably except some SQL benchmarsk due to some change.

I have to agree. The performance improvement looks nice, but 64-bit Ubuntu should still kick its butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Erikina View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Who know what Michael meant to write, dictionary meaning is anyway http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/appalled