Skype 2.1 Beta Brings New Features To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Oh, the classic "any software whose source code isn't in the open can contain backdoors!" claim. If there was a backdoor in Skype, it'd probably be in the network itself, not the client software.
    ps. That post is just slightly incoherent. Sources hidden, facts obscured, would make a very bad article.
    And not to commit ad hominem here, but anyone not familiar with the site on which that post took place should take a look at it.

Comment

Too bad they dropped support for OSSv4, for now at least. Appart from that this new version seem to work well (at least for the short time I have used it). Alsa doesn't play well with my notebook so I'm compelled to use OSSv4c and I will only poke pulse with a long stick.

If the skype developers don't add support for OSSv4 it's a big fail imo. I believe part of the _informed_ users are giving OSSv4 a try when alsa does a poor job on their machines and they are generally happier with it than with alsa.

I am a lot happier with OSSv4, flawless playback _every_ single time, with better quality than with alsa, no nonsense whatsoever.

Comment

Huh? Is no one bothered to mention that a 64bit build is FINALLY available? Yaay, another piece of software delivered in 64bit version for Linux first

Comment

It was reported on another forum that it's still a 32-bit build using 64-bit compatibility libraries. I haven't bothered to check yet to be honest, but it's not hard to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
            It was reported on another forum that it's still a 32-bit build using 64-bit compatibility libraries. I haven't bothered to check yet to be honest, but it's not hard to believe.
            In the comments of the news:

The 64-bit installer contains a 32-bit executable:
            # file skype
            skype: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, stripped

So, it's still only 32-bit.

Comment

Yup, same here. Interestingly though, the package no longer depends on lib32v4l like the version from medibuntu did.

Comment

Waste of money ?

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                Yup Nero Linux... the best way to waste your money under Linux...
                I paid for Nero Linux 3 few years ago, and it's the only burning software I can trust to do the work.
                Brasero is joke that not working, K3B is not always working.
                It is not a shame to pay for something that does the work. I had a choice and i used it. No regrets.
                You'll probably waste more money on f...d blank CD/DVD if you don't use Nero.
                But anyway, you have the right to use whatever you choose and as long as you don't bash other people choices no one really cares about your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by R00KIE View Post
                  Too bad they dropped support for OSSv4, for now at least. Appart from that this new version seem to work well (at least for the short time I have used it). Alsa doesn't play well with my notebook so I'm compelled to use OSSv4c and I will only poke pulse with a long stick.
                  OSSv4 comes with an ALSA compatiblity layer. Use that.

Comment

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
                    I paid for Nero Linux 3 few years ago, and it's the only burning software I can trust to do the work.
                    Brasero is joke that not working, K3B is not always working.
                    Yeah I see you're giving real facts here.

It is not a shame to pay for something that does the work. I had a choice and i used it. No regrets.
                    It's idiot to pay for something you can have for free.

You'll probably waste more money on f...d blank CD/DVD if you don't use Nero.
                    Not a single blank disk as long as I remember. And this is a fact not a personal opinion. So the bucks I would have given for Nero would be practically a waste.

But anyway, you have the right to use whatever you choose and as long as you don't bash other people choices no one really cares about your choice.
                    As I have the right to use whatever I want, is my right as well to judge if someone else should do this as long as I don't forbid him to choose whatever he wants as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      OSSv4 comes with an ALSA compatiblity layer. Use that.
                      The distro I use (Arch Linux) has libsalsa disabled in the package and if I try to compile OSSv4 with --enable-libsalsa=YES it aborts with "unknown option --enable-libsalsa=YES".

I guess I'll have to look into it better, but anyway, there is no good reason not to support ossv4 directly, the 2.0 version of skype did have direct support for oss and that works perfectly here.

Comment

Working...
                      X