No announcement yet.

Nvidia renames old stuff again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually deanjo is right, nVidia does have the better price/performance ratio in the highend sector right now. A buddy of mine just asked me what to get, a HD 4870/4890 or GTX 275. I just went by impulse at first and told him the 48X0 parts were probably better performance- and price-wise, since that's been true for the last few months, but then had a look at some benches and realized that the GTX 275, while a bit more expensive then the ATi cards, also was a good (bigger) bit faster.
    ATi really needs to get out a new chip-generation... well I read somewhere that "Evergreen" is supposed to come out next week anyway, right?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
      renaming, a game for the whole family. So much fun to rip off costumers:

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/08/...2xx-parts-3xx/
      wow, just wow. stuff like thsi makes me cry a little inside. Dont worry though it's really just on the inside.

Comment

Nvidia can rename all it wants, at least it works!

ATI support in Linux sucks!

They dropped support for older hardware. I read about older Nvidia hardware handling all of the 'advanced' features of virtualization, graphics, desktop effects etc. Meanwhile, ATI is still at the same stage it was four or five years ago. You can Google and discover the same complaints and support questions for these issues.

Comment

oh, and nvidia did not drop support for old hardware?

btw - the 'dropped' support was only 'dropped' for cards well supported by the open drivers, so what are you complaining about?

And 'the nvidia drivers just work' is a myth.

for example:

Side note #1: I'm using nvidia-drivers-180.60, I tried 185.* but was getting several X crashes a day, typically when switching the active window (clicking or alt-tab). 180.60 has not crashed on me yet (over a period of several weeks).

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
            oh, and nvidia did not drop support for old hardware?

btw - the 'dropped' support was only 'dropped' for cards well supported by the open drivers, so what are you complaining about?

And 'the nvidia drivers just work' is a myth.

for example:
            http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.p...999881#5999881
            Well, when you read of complaints and this topic after googling, I somehow am convinced, okay?

My RV250 Radeon Mobility 9000 hardware is unable to use desktop effects properly in several different distros. Mostly Ubuntu but I don't mind that as I am more inclined to use a different distro. But, I've read that older Nvidia hardware has no problem with desktop effects.

It's not a big deal to me as I don't need that feature but I read that it's been an issue as far back as 2004!

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
              My RV250 Radeon Mobility 9000 hardware is unable to use desktop effects properly in several different distros. Mostly Ubuntu but I don't mind that as I am more inclined to use a different distro.
              Should pretty much work out of the box with modern drivers and is getting better all the time.

Comment

I used compiz for a long time with a 9250, so a 9000 shouldn't really have a problem. Besides, it was originally demoed on something like a 8500...

To be fair my older GeForce FX5200 felt slightly faster - until it died one day

Comment

So, MY ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 is *different* then?

I demo'd it in various distros, Live CDs and found that when I enable desktop effects, I had various instances of hard crashes. 'Had to power off and reboot the machine.

I didn't say the normal driver didn't work or wasn't installed. I'm talking about graphics and features.

There are a bunch of threads on LaunchPad about the bug or references to similar issues at least with Ubuntu.

I'll just deal with it. I do think right now, though, that Nvidia is a safer option for video/graphics, however. Or even Intel. When researching the 'issue', I came across so many complaints of ATI issues/problems so maybe they are swamped with issues to address. Maybe there's a manpower problem. I dunno but I perceive an issue with my laptop's card, period.

Comment

I think the other poster is saying that there may be a problem specific to your system.

Have you gone through all the usual troubleshooting steps, things like dropping the AGP bus speed until you find one that is reliable on your system ?
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                      So, MY ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 is *different* then?

I demo'd it in various distros, Live CDs and found that when I enable desktop effects, I had various instances of hard crashes. 'Had to power off and reboot the machine.
                      Try Fedora 12 Beta LiveCD when the beta is out, just for kinks? Fedora has pretty much the most bleeding-edge drivers there are. Should at least give you a pretty good impression on whether your card has been getting better support lately. (and yes, what bridgman said if you want to debug the issue for your current system)

Comment

Working...
                      X