Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VGA Arbitration Code Hits The X Server

Phoronix: VGA Arbitration Code Hits The X Server

The Linux VGA Arbiter, which has long been talked about and gone through several revisions, is finally approaching the point of entering the mainline kernel and as of last night was committed to the X Server and PCI access library. The VGA Arbiter fixes the problem where multiple graphics cards with legacy VGA interfaces could get sent the wrong data if there are multiple X Servers in use...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those folks that use fglrx or the nvidia binary, this will stop you loading the X drivers due to a missing symbol

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      For those folks that use fglrx or the nvidia binary, this will stop you loading the X drivers due to a missing symbol
      Oh well in that case they totally shouldn't merge the code... I mean surely the kernel-devs should care more about compatibility with the proprietary drivers than improve the framework, right?...

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
        Oh well in that case they totally shouldn't merge the code... I mean surely the kernel-devs should care more about compatibility with the proprietary drivers than improve the framework, right?...
        That wasn't a criticism, it was a warning to those folk who rely on binary drivers that this will break their set up until new drivers are released.

A lot of folk rely on GUIs to upgrade and downgrade their packages meaning if they broke X it would be difficult to get it working again.

I my self don't use binary drivers and update all my X components nightly from git. I did however test the fglrx 9.8 driver after the new code hit

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          Which symbol is that, exactly?

Comment

Working...
          X