Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiz 0.9 Finally Approaches, Beta Coming

Phoronix: Compiz 0.9 Finally Approaches, Beta Coming

It has been a while since last talking about the Compiz compositing manager with their last v0.8 release coming some six months ago, but in fact things have remained busy and now they are finally approaching the 0.9 release in the coming months. As we reported last year and at the start of this year, Compiz Fusion is being dropped, Compiz++ came about as a rewrite of Compiz in C++ and also separated out the compositing and window management responsibilities, and then it was agreed upon that Compiz++ and NOMAD would merge into Compiz...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

does compiz have a future?? now that kde and gnome are integrating desktop effects into their window managers

Comment

Originally posted by seba View Post
      does compiz have a future?? now that kde and gnome are integrating desktop effects into their window managers
      hard to think kde and gnome are going to stay a step ahead of compiz

Comment

I definitely think Compiz has a future. I have used both Compiz and Kwin+compositing at some point in the recent past, and Kwin causes all my 3D apps to run at 30fps. Compiz doesn't. Overall, Compiz is more mature.

Comment

Stopped using it after a while and honestly I don't miss it. Productivity wise, I can achieve the same with Kwin effects and to a lesser extent even Metacity's manager. Much less of a hassle too. May try it again in the future, but I doubt I will ever consider it again as a staple feature on any of my desktops.

Comment

Compiz comes installed and enabled by default in most distros, with a few of the many available features enabled. Unless Metacity and Kwin catch up, it seems Compiz is the defacto Linux window manager for many desktops now. Support for compositing across many Linux programs has improved it seems, too, meaning there are less reasons for disabling it.

Comment

Distros based on KDE4 don't use Compiz by default. KDE's window manager offers much better integration and is light-weight. I think Compiz will eventually become the least used window manager and interest in it will die out.

Comment

Desktop bling ftw. Compiz' myriad of options is great for us "power-users" who like to tweak everything too

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
                  I definitely think Compiz has a future. I have used both Compiz and Kwin+compositing at some point in the recent past, and Kwin causes all my 3D apps to run at 30fps. Compiz doesn't. Overall, Compiz is more mature.
                  KWin is progressing fast and it's getting better at a good pace. On the contrary Compiz will always lack integration... I already can see a drop in the use of Compiz. It's still good, but it will lose ground, and will probably die someday as the "once upon a time revolutionary technology XGL".

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
                    Desktop bling ftw. Compiz' myriad of options is great for us "power-users" who like to tweak everything too
                    I dare you try gnome-shell.

Comment

Working...
                    X