Ubuntu 9.10 Gets A New Splash Screen, Not Plymouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lbcoder View Post
    And this is why I'll never use any ubuntu junk... rather than collaborating on existing (and usually superior) projects, everything they do is an insistence on reinventing the wheel.... poorly.

Instead of XSplash, they should use PLYMOUTH.
    Instead of this "store" thing, they should use PACKAGEKIT.
    If those projects are lacking something, they should CONTRIBUTE TO THEM.

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID.
    Well I like Ubuntu but this is just true. PackageKit has a nice GUI and was meant to solve all those problems with package management. Now they bring a "store", yet another app? Seriously?

And XSplash currently just fails. First it loads normally and then when the Gnome desktop should appear *and only then*, I see the new XSplash.

Comment

Wow guys, don't give XSplash such a hard time.

Ofcourse it doesn't look good at the moment, it hasn't been properly implemented. First of all a new theme is coming, secondly the XServer is going to be started so quickly that usplash will cease to be shown to the user and xsplash will take over.

@lbcoder

Dude calm down! Diversity is what makes free software great! the Ubuntu devs saw that plymouth was too heavy and uneccessary if the XServer was going to be started so soon and so they created something that fitted their needs more.

It is this approach of creating better more-suited software that makes FOSS development progress.

About PackageKit, taken from the SoftwareStore wiki page:

"The implementation is based on Add/Remove Applications (gnome-app-install), but may use PackageKit for some components."

No offence but you guys need to read up a bit before bashing others work. I can see your frustration, but Ubuntu never locked you into anything, you can choose what you want.

Comment

they should pay someone (or find a capable volunteer) and make the whole damn thing prettyer

from icons to splash to themes to whatever

ubuntu (and most distros) lacks elegance

Comment

I'd personally opt for no splash at all. The goal is to make Ubuntu start in 10 seconds. Do we really need to be looking at an intricate loading screen for 10 seconds? I'd much rather see some text fly by. That reassures me that if the boot process should fail, I can see where it happened.

Maybe someone could make a text mode splash screen that shows "Loading... (press F2 for status messages)". Neat and simple.

Comment

I do believe Plymouth (and possibly others?) have such functionality.

And yeah, I'd rather have my boot both pretty and fast, if you don't mind

Comment

Instead of this "store" thing, they should use PACKAGEKIT.
              They shouldn't use either of those, but instead use Synaptic. PackageKit has very few features, and is quite painful to use for power-users (for example, if PackageKit fails to install a .deb, it simply tells you "Error! This didn't work!" or something to that effect, rather than telling you what caused the error.)

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
                Maybe someone could make a text mode splash screen that shows "Loading... (press F2 for status messages)". Neat and simple.
                All messages are available by clicking a button in gdm in Fedora iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                  I do believe Plymouth (and possibly others?) have such functionality.
                  Yeah, but they all want to Do Fun Stuff With Graphics, like showing a progress bar, or a logo, or an animation. I don't really mind, but it adds some time to the boot process, and it takes time to program it of course.
                  And yeah, I'd rather have my boot both pretty and fast, if you don't mind
                  That is a contradiction in terms, is it not?

Comment

Instead of XSplash, they should use PLYMOUTH.
                    I think a major consideration here is that the many users on nvidia binary drivers can't use plymouth.

Comment

Working...
                    X