Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.10 Gets A New Splash Screen, Not Plymouth

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.10 Gets A New Splash Screen, Not Plymouth

Introduced last year with Fedora 10 was Plymouth, a project to replace the aging Red Hat Graphical Boot (RHGB) software. From the start, Plymouth leveraged kernel mode-setting to provide a flicker-free boot process and a splash screen that would run at the panel's native resolution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't this basically what Fedora used to do, using rhgb? It used a normal X server if I remember correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
      Isn't this basically what Fedora used to do, using rhgb? It used a normal X server if I remember correctly?
      RHGB used an X Server, yes, but did not maintain the same running X Server that's going to be used by the user on the desktop.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Aha, thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Kubuntu?

Will this be in Kubuntu also? or is this just a Ubuntu thing again?!...

Comment

And this is why I'll never use any ubuntu junk... rather than collaborating on existing (and usually superior) projects, everything they do is an insistence on reinventing the wheel.... poorly.

Instead of XSplash, they should use PLYMOUTH.
            Instead of this "store" thing, they should use PACKAGEKIT.
            If those projects are lacking something, they should CONTRIBUTE TO THEM.

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID.

Comment

please provide an ogg theora video. this is a *linux* news page.

Comment

I think the problem is hosting the files, are there any video sites which support Theora for user uploaded content?

Or I guess Phoronix could host the video using BitTorrent?

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                  I think the problem is hosting the files, are there any video sites which support Theora for user uploaded content?
                  The latest news, sports, music and entertainment videos on Dailymotion

all host Theora.

Comment

Oh, great! I didn't know there were so many. No excuses then

Comment

Working...
                    X