Ubuntu 9.10 Gets A New Splash Screen, Not Plymouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Think about it, would you move a production server to a OS that is in development and that does not have complete functionality yet?
    And it hasn't yet become clear to you yet that Fedora is not a production server OS but a testing OS for new technologies?
    Last edited by nanonyme; 29 August 2009, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Extension to avoid getting caught by quoting:
      Open drivers have been pretty ready for servers for quite some time. It's not like servers run 3D. Heck, 3D is a security risk there. Many distros even limit write access to dri device nodes, open drivers or not.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        Extension to avoid getting caught by quoting:
        Open drivers have been pretty ready for servers for quite some time. It's not like servers run 3D. Heck, 3D is a security risk there. Many distros even limit write access to dri device nodes, open drivers or not.
        I was just using the server as an example that it is not good practice to replace components until it's replacement is at least just as capable as the item it is going to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          What is unrational about it is pushing it before there really is a clear equal performing opensource solution.

Think about it, would you move a production server to a OS that is in development and that does not have complete functionality yet?
          I don't really see any Ubuntu release as production release :P Releasing every 6 months just isn't enough time to iron out all the bugs and provide enough polish for a desktop imo.

I'm just hoping that Debian DOES sync with Ubuntu's LTS releases, and the LTS releases become production releases, while the 6-monthly non-LTS releases become semi-development releases (which is what they really are anyway).

Comment

You know what, after the initial loading bar is done I expect the LOGIN SCREEN or the ACTUAL DESKTOP is available. Not some new toy from the Ubuntu basement code monkey takes another 10-20 seconds doing nothing but a lame animation.

This is lame.

As lame as the shitty black login screen they did to 9.04.

Now I'm in serious doubt of their quality control, it looks like it just through random shit into each release and expect people to accept them. If user don't like it, it's alright because in the next release, there will be some different shit waiting for you!
            Last edited by FunkyRider; 08 September 2009, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X