Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting my r680 to work

Hi!
    I have a ATI Radeon HD3870X2 and using Gentoo x64 with KDE4.
    The thing is that I can't get it to work fully.
    I did take the open-source drivers (the ones who comes from portage) and installed them, also added "radeon" to xorg.conf, because "radeonhd" didn't work (black screen).
    What I really want is to have all desktop effects working (Desktop cube, fade, wobbly windows etc).
    There are some effects that does work, but that is because I use XRender (software graphic support I guess, because it's slowm guess doesn't include 3D support), but can't use OpenGL (I think because I don't have the right drivers).
    I have tried also "fglrx" drivers, but they gave an error on X startup.
    When trying to run CCC or aticonfig it says I don't have a supported device.
    Also I seen some chats about that 3D isn't very stable on x64, but right now I don't care about that.
    Can you please tell me what I need to add and where so I can get atleast a temporary 3D support?
    Also glxgears gives me about 500 FPS so that would mean that I'm using software 3D support.

I added the log and config file to this post, check this until the mod will accept my post ^^

Last edited by regdude; 26 August 2009, 04:00 PM.

The 3D support in the open source drivers is not in a really usable state, so if you want opengl (including compiz for desktop effects) you will have to use fglrx.

If you need help getting fglrx working, please install it, switch to 'fglrx' in your xorg.conf file, try starting up Xorg, and show us the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

Adam

Comment

Ok, here is the log and config file with fglrx:

Comment

I don't think the fglrx drivers support the 3870x2 - it was released as a "Windows only" product.

The open source 3D drivers are getting pretty close to being generally useable, although as Adam says they're not quite there yet. It probably is worth getting familiar with building and running them though; not sure if there are up-to-date builds available for Gentoo, if not you can use the instructions in the last comment on my blog post :

http://jbridgman.livejournal.com/945.html (scroll down to the end)

Suggest you build all three drivers to start, then you can probably get away with just updating mesa for a while.
        Test signature

Comment

Ok, will try getting the drivers from git.
          When is the last time they updated the open-source drivers?

Comment

They're being updated a few times a day right now :

Richard is back from vacation so changes will probably be more frequent now
            Test signature

Comment

Wow, that works!
              BIt laggy... but it's ok!
              Guess gentoo has an old ebuild for these drivers.
              The fan goes like crazy from the usage ^^ but it has been always very loud.
              Thanks!

Also seems that it crashes a lot (mouse moves, but keyboard and windows freezes).
              But glxgears gives me ~3300 FPS and finally opengl is working with my card
              Last edited by regdude; 27 August 2009, 06:53 AM.

Comment

With the release of ATI's fglrx 9.9 (x11-drivers/ati-drivers) I managed to get compositing on in KDE4 without any hassle. I also needed to add some keywords for the latest xorg-server and such, used aticonfig to create the xorg.conf (apparently it doesn't work without it, though I tried) and enable compositing in System Settings -> Desktop. Remember to re-emerge all x11 drivers after updating xorg-server (qlist -I -C x11-drivers they say...)

On the other hand Xrandr is not implemented, so ... I guess I'm going for the dual-head battle now... *sigh*

Comment

Before you get into any kind of dual head battle make sure you configure the driver for dual-head at install. That makes the battle a lot easier. You can find the aticonfig options at the end of the aticonfig --help output or try something like :

aticonfig --initial=dual-head

I thought randr was supported in the current Catalyst drivers but you probably still need to do the initial configuration after install.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Before you get into any kind of dual head battle make sure you configure the driver for dual-head at install. That makes the battle a lot easier. You can find the aticonfig options at the end of the aticonfig --help output or try something like :

aticonfig --initial=dual-head

I thought randr was supported in the current Catalyst drivers but you probably still need to do the initial configuration after install.
                    Thanks for your advice. Here is what I did, in the following order:

1. removed old xorg.conf (ofc saving it) - started server, no devices/screens/whatever
                    2. aticonfig --initial on the xorg.conf I had paced back - started server which worked in ... clone mode? mirror mode? one of the two. Anyway, 3d effects worked, everything was smooth. Yuppie!
                    3. aticonfig --initial=dual-head - started server and got an error about xinerama
                    4. aticonfig --dtop=horizontal, and got back to clone mode for some reason. Here I noticed in the log a line stating that Big Desktop is now replaced by Randr 1.2
                    5. since my monitors are 1600x1200+1280x1024 I added Virtual 2880 1200 to xorg.conf, started it and still clone mode
                    6. used xrandr to position second monitor --right-of my left one (the 1600x1200 one). problem is that my primary display also moved there for some reason
                    7. switched monitor plugs in the board, restarted etc... and again the primary display went on the unwanted monitor (wtf?)
                    8. switched plugs back and added randr options to xorg,conf, moved kde panel from right monitor (now screen 1) to the left one etc, played with desktop effects which all worked perfectly - yay!
                    9. after about 5 mins screen went blank, had to reset (ssh-ing from outside didn't work)
                    10. since this kept happening I decided the driver is still unstable (perhaps in dual-head mode).

I gave up and reverted to radeonhd, which works fine without fancy effects.Many thanks to the people on #ati channel on freenode for helping me in my efforts. Also the XStrikeForce Randr howto proved very helpful.

I think the ati-driver should lose the AMD Unsupported Hardware logo. It serves no purpose whatsoever than annoyance.

Comment

Working...
                    X