Keep aspect ratio on LCD Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep aspect ratio on LCD Panel

I just got a Gateway MD2614u with HD3200 graphics and a 1366x768 screen. Some games, like ioquake, don't let me select the native resolution, so selecting 1024x768 results in a stretched screen. Is there a way to disable video resulution scaling, or to keep the resolution aspect ratio?

I'm using Catalyst 9.8 with Kubuntu 9.04 and kernel 2.6.30.5.

If you have a digital monitor, then there are controls for that in catalyst control center (select "keep aspect ratio").

It doesn't work with analog monitors though.

Comment

Originally posted by glock24 View Post
      I just got a Gateway MD2614u with HD3200 graphics and a 1366x768 screen. Some games, like ioquake, don't let me select the native resolution, so selecting 1024x768 results in a stretched screen. Is there a way to disable video resulution scaling, or to keep the resolution aspect ratio?
      I know this is not the answer for your question, but if ioquake configuration is like quake3's (and I suppose it is), you can set your desired resolution with
      Code:
      seta r_customheight "1050" <-- your y
      seta r_customwidth "1680" <-- your x
      seta r_mode "-1"
      in the config file.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        If you have a digital monitor, then there are controls for that in catalyst control center (select "keep aspect ratio").

It doesn't work with analog monitors though.
        The display is the laptop's built-in screen, so it is digital. The option is present in the Windows drivers, but not in Linux.

I'll try your suggestion Fran, but I still want to disable the display stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by glock24 View Post
          The display is the laptop's built-in screen, so it is digital. The option is present in the Windows drivers, but not in Linux.
          I wouldn't mention it if the option wasn't there for Linux too.

Comment

Well, I just checked on my other laptop, which has a HD3650, and the display scaling options are also missing. Here's a screenshot:

This option was available in Catalyst 9.5 or 9.6 if I remember correctly, maybe this is a bug in 9.8? Is there any xorg.conf options I should enable?

Comment

Yep they're missing, I noticed that right away, but ignored it since I decided that I preferred centered mode with the black borders anyways...

Comment

You need to connect the monitor with DVI/HDMI not via analog vga to get those options.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  You need to connect the monitor with DVI/HDMI not via analog vga to get those options.
                  Mine is a notebook, and those options appear under the windows drivers which is where I made the determination that I preferred centered anyways...

Comment

aticonfig --help lists an option:

--lcd, --lcd-mode=STRING
                    Change the LCD mode. STRING can be one of:
                    center
                    full

Comment

Working...
                    X