Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 12 Alpha Released With New Features

Phoronix: Fedora 12 Alpha Released With New Features

It's arriving a few days late, but Fedora 12 Alpha has just made it out into the world. Red Hat's Jesse Keating announced the release of Fedora 12 Alpha (which goes under the codename of Constantine) is now available to early adopters and those interested in trying out this very early release of the next Fedora release. Last week we were able to try out an early version of Fedora 12 Alpha and found that it brought many improvements to the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've heard this includes R600 KMS. Let's give it a try...

Comment

When we should expect KMS GEM supported on (mine: x1600pro) AGP GPUs? ubuntu karmic and fedora 12 doesn't even boot using the open driver.

Is there a schedule?

2.6.32 perhaps?

Comment

Is R600 KMS implemented/enabled? Or maybe even 3d? (I know that it's not ready yet, though. Just like to test without compiling).
        Thanks.

Comment

I hope they've fixed the Intel KMS and 3D, so I can use Compiz. It's unstable and unusable on my G45 chipset on F11. I'll give the liveCD a try.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
            Is R600 KMS implemented/enabled? Or maybe even 3d? (I know that it's not ready yet, though. Just like to test without compiling).
            Thanks.
            Tried it, didn't work with my HD 4850. It tried enabling R600 KMS but failed, very early there was some "Radeon could not enable..." error. Radeon was running but without KMS/EXA/Xv afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
              I hope they've fixed the Intel KMS and 3D, so I can use Compiz. It's unstable and unusable on my G45 chipset on F11. I'll give the liveCD a try.
              No such luck. I booted the liveCD, started desktop effects, installed freedoom. As soon as I ran it, the screen went blank and the system hard locked. I had to reboot to get out of it.

There are already bug reports covering the problems. Waiting for the beta...

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                When we should expect KMS GEM supported on (mine: x1600pro) AGP GPUs? ubuntu karmic and fedora 12 doesn't even boot using the open driver.

Is there a schedule?

2.6.32 perhaps?
                Mine (R300 Radeon 9500 AGP) already has KMS + DRI2 working without stability issues since Fedora 11 + updates. It still has some rough edges, but overall the experience is pleasing. As the level of support is supposed to be almost the same between my card and yours maybe you should file a bug report...

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Tried it, didn't work with my HD 4850. It tried enabling R600 KMS but failed, very early there was some "Radeon could not enable..." error. Radeon was running but without KMS/EXA/Xv afterwards.
                  Yeah, that's what you can get out of it at best afaik. The other results would be like I'm getting as in a lockup.

Comment

Working...
                  X