Crossfire Enable in AMDCCCLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossfire Enable in AMDCCCLE

I hadn't seen anybody post this on the forums, or in the patch notes either, but when swapping out some HD 3870's for some HD 4850's, I found that an "Enable Crossfire" option had appeared in the AMDCCCLE:

Originally posted by Saist View Post
    I hadn't seen anybody post this on the forums, or in the patch notes either, but when swapping out some HD 3870's for some HD 4850's, I found that an "Enable Crossfire" option had appeared in the AMDCCCLE:

http://mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22778
    Only thing that I know about crossfire(or think that I know) is that catalyst AI has to be turned ON to at least the most basic level for it to work...

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
      Only thing that I know about crossfire(or think that I know) is that catalyst AI has to be turned ON to at least the most basic level for it to work...
      Well, that's kinda secondary information. The important thing to know would be what it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_CrossFire
      Enabling it with only one GPU will have no effect.

Comment

Well, I know what CF/SLI are, I just don't know much/anything about the specifics as to how AMD or nVidia implement it in their driver.

e.g. presumably with AI(AMD), and whatever it was called in the nVidia drivers(never had multi-GPU setup so I ignored it) gives hints as to how the driver should distribute the workload between GPUs assuming that the app/game is in their respective databases.

Otherwise I'd guess at least with AMD and hybrid CF they must somehow distribute the workload between GPUs dependent on varying GPU load and/or assessment of the variosu GPUs capabilities.

I think in the past where you could only have 2 GPUs and of the same type that both nVidia and AMD probably just blindly assigned 1/x th of the display to each GPU where x was 2 or 4. They may still fall back to something like this for all I know.

Anyways for a single GPU system the CF/SLI option should never appear as even though it won't do anything I'd presume that it would add at least a little overhead if they didn not check number of physical GPUs before entering CF/SLI driver code path. i.e. it's probably add extra logic checks but since there's only one physical GPU to handle the load... extra overhead...

Dunno, so you'll have to hope that bridgman or someone who would likely know shows up and says/suggests something...

Comment

The original post has two 4850s in the machine, so not sure how the discussion about "Crossfire with a single GPU" started. AFAIK the point was that the prompt was now appearing in CCC-LE and that going into command line to enable Crossfire was no longer required.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            The original post has two 4850s in the machine, so not sure how the discussion about "Crossfire with a single GPU" started.
            By me failing to notice that the message chain continued by the same person and assuming too little knowledge from the "Only thing that I know about crossfire" phrase. And yeah, the GUI functionality sounds nice, definitely lots more user-friendly than command line utilities.
            --
            @ all: Disregard my post, nothing excessively useful nor clear there.

Comment

Working...
            X