HDMI out with fglrx on a 4650?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not using RadeonHD.

Edit: Even if it does carry audio (which I could test), performance is still too terrible with 1080p content to make it worth using for now.

Comment

Are you disabling the HD3200 on-board graphics in BIOS or trying to run with both GPUs active ?

If you are running with both GPUs active then fglrx is your best choice; just make sure you initialize it properly -- something like :

aticonfig --initial --adapters=all -f

You can get the details from the aticonfig --help output.

I don't think the open source drivers can support acceleration on two GPUs at the same time right now, so I'm guessing that's why you're seeing performance problems with radeonhd. If you are disabling the HD3200 in BIOS then please post your xorg log with radeonhd and let's see what we can do about your performance.
      Test signature

Comment

The HD3200 is disabled (it disables itself if PEG is detected, and forcing it to enabled disabled the PCIe GPU). So only one card at a time. HDMI works with the HD3200 on fglrx. HDMI does not worth with the 4650 and fglrx.

RadeonHD performance is fine with the HD3200. Just that it's terrible with the 4650. I can yank the xorg.log when I get home, assuming it actually works (about 50% of the time, the system hardlocks with RadeonHD on the 4650 when it tries to initialize X -- no SSH, nothing, though xorg.0.log looks fine after this).

Comment

If you are seeing bad performance on 4650 but good performance on HD3200 I suspect your drm driver is too old and is not initializing properly with the 4650. That would result in no acceleration and very poor performance. The log file will be very useful.
          Test signature

Comment

Uh, I was pretty sure that radeonhd only supported 2D acceleration on R7xx series cards (experimental 3D support that involves compiling mesa and radeonhd from git with lackluster performance doesn't interest me). At any rate, it's a Jaunty system for now, which should be good on the drm driver. This doesn't solve the fglrx HDMI problem, anyway.

Comment

The 3D acceleration is still being worked on (although it runs a number of games now) but 2D (EXA, Xv) acceleration also requires the drm.

Anyways, the logs may offer clues for both performance and HDMI.
              Test signature

Comment

I thought this was for an HTPC? If so, the only thing you NEED is 2D, and 2D accel works out of the box on most new distros using open source drivers (I never much liked radeonhd btw, it always did weird things like you talk about, try just "radeon").

And for that matter, for an HTPC, the performance bottleneck will be the CPU anyways -- the media decoder implementation, what reason do you even have for not just using the onboard 3200?

Comment

I know its brutal, only reason I suggest that is that the smarter way involves way too much hand holding.

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  That's a really brutal solution to reinstall. Usually it can be done much smarter, depending on the way you installed fglrx.

Comment

Depends. For Kanotix or when you used my script uninstall is done this way:

dpkg --purge $(dpkg -l|awk '/fglrx|libamdx/{print $2}')
                    rm -rf /etc/ati
                    rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
                    dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

When you ran the installer then you have to use

/usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
                    rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf*

Then run a command that resets the xorg.conf file or just use it without, in that case usually ati oss is loaded after REBOOT.

Comment

Originally posted by lbcoder View Post
                      I know its brutal, only reason I suggest that is that the smarter way involves way too much hand holding.
                      Removing fglrx is fairly easy. You just run:
                      /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh

This removes fglrx and returns the overwritten files to the state before it was installed.

Comment

Working...
                      X