r6xx 3D games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah!

I had OpenArena slow down to the crawl and hang on me too. I guess I'm experiencing the same issue as everyone else then?

Comment

Originally posted by forum1793 View Post
      Is this what is meant by a race condition?
      No; as Fran points out, you've described a memory leak. A race condition is (basically) when an error can be caused by related events happening in an unexpected order. It's called a race condition because the outcome depends on which process/signal/event "wins the race". The solution is usually to either explicitly force synchronization or to tweak the system such that the appropriate process is guaranteed to "win" (the latter tends to be used in hardware, where delays/sequencing can be built physically).

Comment

Nice read guys! Cant wait until September 10th or is it 14th? I have monies stashed away for a little upgrade.

Comment

Cooper has pushed a patch which should help with the corruption which previously forced you to run "indirect" (eg openarena). Haven't tried it myself yet though.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Cooper has pushed a patch which should help with the corruption which previously forced you to run "indirect" (eg openarena). Haven't tried it myself yet though.
            Doesn't help me. See http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23469

Comment

Yeah..

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I can't believe things are moving so fast Is it Google earth working already?
              Bridgman, I always wanted to ask you something...as you a working in AMD, can your team exchange if not code, but ideas with fglrx team.

Comment

We discuss ideas with the proprietary driver team (not just fglrx) and pick up code snippets for programming specific hardware blocks. What we don't do is pick up million-line code blocks and try to fit them into a 20,000 line driver
                Test signature

Comment

Why is fglrx SO huge?

Because it covers all the chipsets? Because it implements its own memory manager and half of X Server? Because it implements all of Mesa basically?

I mean, the new open source 3D drivers are looking mean and lean, other than the spread among Mesa/DDX/KMS/GEM etc, I don't see where the discrepancy comes from.

Comment

Probably because it is full of

switch (app) {
                    case IDTECH3:
                    case IDTECH4:
                    case MAYA3D:
                    case GLXGEARS:
                    //uh!
                    case BIGKNOWN3DBENCH:
                    //100000 line of code
                    case ...
                    }

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      Why is fglrx SO huge?

Because it covers all the chipsets? Because it implements its own memory manager and half of X Server? Because it implements all of Mesa basically?

I mean, the new open source 3D drivers are looking mean and lean, other than the spread among Mesa/DDX/KMS/GEM etc, I don't see where the discrepancy comes from.
                      take a peak at nvidia's driver then you'll see that fglrx (the kernel module) isn't too big at all

I guess it's that big because of what Mickabouille worte - optimization for all different kinds of apps

@Drago:

last time I tried (some days ago) there still was massive corruption with it

Comment

Working...
                      X