r6xx 3D games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't urban terror a Quake3 mod?

I don't see why it wouldn't work, if Quake3 (and all the games based on the engine) is working.

Anyway, I played OpenArena for at least an hour last night. As long as I don't let the level finish, it doesn't crash Ending the level kills X. Gameplay itself is stable (and purrty).
    Last edited by pingufunkybeat; 21 August 2009, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky_ View Post
      Well I guess that wine makes a good benchmark as well.
      But you're right to say it might be a bit soon yet.
      Well, even Diablo 2 vid test fails in the Direct3D detection, so I suppose it IS too soon, yeah :P

Comment

Has anyone tried running kwin opengl composite with forcelowpower mode?

Comment

Running apps in an indirect context has the potential to kill the xserver since the xserver loads the 3D driver to support indirect clients. If there is a segfault or something in the 3D driver it will take X with it rather than just the app. In a direct context, you'd just lose the app.

Comment

Has anyone tried running kwin opengl composite with forcelowpower mode?
            I haven't been able to run kwin opengl compositing with any mode so far, it always hardlocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fran View Post
              Well, even Diablo 2 vid test fails in the Direct3D detection, so I suppose it IS too soon, yeah :P
              Counter Strike 1.6 works pretty well in OpenGL mode.
              Skyboxes didn't work, and you could see sprays through walls. I didn't try playing online because I'd probably get VAC banned if I could see other players through walls.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                Skyboxes didn't work, and you could see sprays through walls. I didn't try playing online because I'd probably get VAC banned if I could see other players through walls.
                It's not like anyone would know anyway... Here we see an interesting use case of open drivers. You can actually tweak them to allow you to cheat.

Comment

Really nice job, I am running compiz fine with good performance on my laptop equipped with HD 34xx mobile edition.
                  I just have to notice some refresh issues:
                  It happens with every applications, I have to minimize maximize to force a redrawing.
                  I'm running xorg-edgers ppa, which has merged agd5f's branch.
                  I'll try several games and report their status.

Well I'm realy pleased by how things are going, Next purchase is ATI, hope AMD cpus get back on track soon.
                  They seem to have a hard time comparing to their intel counterparts.

OK, so UrbanTerror doesn't work, the menus are garbled and when I start the game (unreadable menus but I now where to click blindly) it crashes right after the progress bar reaches the end. (when you enter the world).
                  Extremetuxracer crashes as well.

I tried neverball, it works with some artifacts inside the ball, (triangles are switching/rotating in the ball )
                  Last edited by lucky_; 22 August 2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I'll be happy when I can run UT2004 without rebooting into fglrx. It'll run on ancient OpenGL1 PCI cards so hopefully there's not much left to do...

Comment

Originally posted by lucky_ View Post
                      Well I'm realy pleased by how things are going, Next purchase is ATI, hope AMD cpus get back on track soon.
                      They seem to have a hard time comparing to their intel counterparts.
                      Actually AMD Phenom IIs compete pretty well with i7s, especially since the motherboards are so much cheaper for AMD cpus.
                      Sure AMD doesn't compete with Intel's $1000 i7 975, but I don't think they've lost many sales because of that.

The Phenom II X4 955 and 965 compete pretty well against the i7 920, and they're $50 cheaper. The X3s and X2s are also really good for their price.

Comment

Working...
                      X