Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Core i7 Cpu user come in please, cpu fan speed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core i7 Cpu user come in please, cpu fan speed.

Core i7 Cpu user come in please, cpu fan speed.
    Hi, everyone, I have this new computer:

Core i7 920 D0 stepping @ 2.66Ghz stock speed
    ASUS P6T Mobo
    OCZ Gold PC12800 2Gx3
    MSI twin tower OC GTX275
    I update the BIOS to the latest version, which is 0603. Q-fan enabled.

In windows 7 idle, the CPU temp (Tcase) I see in Everest and Speed fan is both about 36C, and fan speed is both reported about 500 - 700 rpm. I can visually confirm the CPU fan is running very slow and the heat sink is cold, so nice.

However, In Linux (Arch), the CPU temp (Tcase) temperature is reported by lm-sensors as 49C (obviously wrong since it is higher than core temp!) and CPU fan is running from 1100 - 1300 rpm. Thus linux runs a lot louder than windows. But when I open the case the cpu heat sink is cold while the fan is running fast for no reason. The CPU fan control is working, but the speed just change only from 1100 rpm up.

So core i7 users, can you share your experience with this issue?
    What is your cpu fan speed under linux?
    Is the CPU fan control works well out of box for your new core i7 ?
    Any info is appreciated thanks a lot.

I want to know whether this problem only exist in Archlinux, or it is universal for linux, hopefully it works in other distro, then I will probably switch.

Btw, the Core temps at idle are 42, 39, 41, 40 in windows 7
    Btw, the Core temps at idle are 39, 37, 38, 36 in arch linux

post the full lmsensors output? You considered that lm-sensors naming is wrong? I wouldnt trust it.

Also did you install the right software for the CPU throttling in arch? If you didnt look in the wiki.

Comment

Working...
    X