ICH10 vs. SB750 vs. nForce Linux performance comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICH10 vs. SB750 vs. nForce Linux performance comparison

According to the many internet reviews, AMD SB600/700/710/750 chipsets have problems with AHCI and RAID performance. These test are usually made on Windows, in addition RAID test are using crippled firmware RAID integrated into motherboards bios.

In Linux, the situation is different. We dont use vendor AHCI drivers and we use mdraid, wich is superior over motherboard fakeraid. So, my question is:

What is the situation with AHCI and mdraid on AMD southbridges in Linux? Is the situation so bad, that nVIdia nForce would be far better solution for AMD platform?

Or nVidia nForce os not much better anyway, and it is better to choice Intel platform for best AHCI and mdraid performance?

I have read some post about this topic here on forum, and I searched PTS Global for some results, but this database is not very suitable for searching and comparing

Originally posted by Pepazdepa View Post
    In Linux, the situation is different. We dont use vendor AHCI drivers and we use mdraid, wich is superior over motherboard fakeraid.
    Unless you want to dualboot and have access to the raid array. Then you use dmraid.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Unless you want to dualboot and have access to the raid array. Then you use dmraid.
      only if you want to dualboot with an inferior OS

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
        only if you want to dualboot with an inferior OS
        Sorry but that "inferior OS" often has superior tools to accomplish a task. Sad but true.

Comment

haha yeah... right....

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
            haha yeah... right....
            Multimedia content creation, Cad/Cam, 3D modeling / animation, financial applications, plus a whole crapload of specialized software for a certain task.

Comment

and of course gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                and of course gaming.
                Deanjo, don't feed the troll.

Comment

As I can see, my basic question remained unanswered. Especially nForce vs. AMD chipset with AHCI performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepazdepa View Post
                    As I can see, my basic question remained unanswered. Especially nForce vs. AMD chipset with AHCI performance.
                    OK here is your short summary of how the AHCI performance is with the chipsets.

Intel chipsets > Nvidia > AMD at least until AMD's new southbridges come out then that might finally change.

Comment

Working...
                    X