Korona Brings KDE 4.3 To OpenSolaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
    Lol it has got nothing to do with Vista UI... I wonder where you see they look the same... oh well... be happy with your Mono apps then.
    But it has everything to do with the Windows 7 UI - Microsoft stole everything they could find, right down to KDE's calculator!

Comment

Originally posted by vermaden View Post
      What a MESS with font rendering, they look like shit:
      When KDE developers will learn this?
      Probably before you'll learn proper english.

By the way KDE fonts are fine for me in Linux and Windows, so guess who's to blame...

Uh, and search for Kubuntu in this and several other forums. You'll get how good is their implementation. Try Arch or Slackware. If you're able to, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        KDE developers have absolutely no control over what fonts a distro decides to use, by the way.
        Its not a matter of different fonts, its just how they are RENDERED mate, and yes, it looks the same crappy on Linux and PC-BSD, its not OpenSolaris fault.

Originally posted by panda84 View Post
        Probably before you'll learn proper english.
        English is not my native language, but I'm doing my best

You can sent me PM containing my post, but corrected to proper english.

By the way KDE fonts are fine for me in Linux and Windows, so guess who's to blame...
        I have seen similar cripled fonts on Linux and PC-BSD, but I havent used KDE on Windows.

Uh, and search for Kubuntu in this and several other forums. You'll get how good is their implementation. Try Arch or Slackware. If you're able to, of course.
        I stick to BSDs mostly and learning OpenSolaris from time to time, Linux is dissapointing me, I am tired of its mess geenrally.

Comment

Its not a matter of different fonts, its just how they are RENDERED mate, and yes, it looks the same crappy on Linux
          No, they don't. They look very good on Linux and there's a ton of rendering configuration options so they render how the user wants.

But has nothing to do with KDE of course. That stuff is in freetype and cairo.

Comment

Its not a matter of different fonts, its just how they are RENDERED mate
            Right, which is determined by the way the distro decides to setup it's font related packages, like freetype. Nothing to do with KDE.

Comment

This is how it SHOULD look like: ...
              While I agree that Korona exhibits some really poor font rendering
              probably due to antialiasing turned off, it's not as if you should
              be particularly proud with yours, also. FYI, this is how a decent
              font rendering should look (and yes, it's your favourite KDE):

Comment

Originally posted by filip007 View Post
                I had with Kubuntu live cd crash very soon on my laptop with 9600mGT so i don't use KDE it looks like Vista not thanks.
                Kubuntu is the worst distro available (buggy KDE implementation, buggy Ubuntu packages fanning the fire). I'm not surprised it crashed. Try any other distro with KDE (Debian, Fedora, OpenSuSE) and you should be pleasantly surprised.
                Change the theme if you don't want it to "look like Vista" (which as of 4.3 it doesn't).

KDE4 has matured VERY fast for it's age because of the excellent community around it - 4.2 was the first usable release and 4.3 is the polished version of 4.2 with a few extras thrown in. I think the rest of the features should be ported from KDE 3.5 by about ~KDE4.6.

It seems the "4.0 not for daily use!" message still hasn't reached some ears.

IMO - KDE 4's newest release beats the hell out of any desktop environment available including Vista, Win 7 and Mac OSX.

Comment

Originally posted by DDevine View Post
                  IMO - KDE 4's newest release beats the hell out of any desktop environment available including Vista, Win 7 and Mac OSX.
                  For you yes it probably does everything you need but everyone has different uses. For example I couldn't in good conscience recommend really any desktop in linux to a person who needs accessibility tools. OS X pretty much skins everything else out there "out of the box" for the visually impaired for one such example.

Comment

Are you sure? There is lots of quality accessibility tools for Gnome (not so sure about KDE, but maybe cross compatible) last time I heard this topic discussed (on Linux Outlaws, who also assumed that Linux lacked these tools - which according to multiple replies it does not).

Comment

Originally posted by DDevine View Post
                      Are you sure? There is lots of quality accessibility tools for Gnome (not so sure about KDE, but maybe cross compatible) last time I heard this topic discussed (on Linux Outlaws, who also assumed that Linux lacked these tools - which according to multiple replies it does not).
                      I think this is something that KDE does lack, it seems like I heard of an effort a while ago to support the same API Gnome was using inside QT, but I don't know what the status of that is. Hopefully the Gnome tools will work with KDE soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X