Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moonlight 2.0 Beta 1 Rolls Out With Improvements

Phoronix: Moonlight 2.0 Beta 1 Rolls Out With Improvements

While betas of Microsoft's Silverlight 3 platform have been available for a number of months after being announced in the last half of 2008, their free software implementation of Silverlight, which is known as Moonlight and developed largely by Novell with the Mono developers, has lagged behind. Only today has the first beta release for Moonlight 2.0 been released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this allow Linux users to get Netflix movies on demand again? and if so, does this also work for PPC so we can stream Netflix to the PS3 for TV/Projector?

Comment

Originally posted by Avzool View Post
      Does this allow Linux users to get Netflix movies on demand again? and if so, does this also work for PPC so we can stream Netflix to the PS3 for TV/Projector?
      It seems that nobody has gotten it working successfully yet, but at least someone is trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Avzool View Post
        No. And no. Moonlight developers have no control over the implementation of Microsoft's proprietary DRM (the bad kind) built into Silverlight. Moonlight won't get that unless MS explicitly makes it available, which they have not done.

Comment

You know, I commend the guys behind Moonlight and Novell for their progress, but I still hope Silverlight is a total failure and just goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by mdmadph View Post
            You know, I commend the guys behind Moonlight and Novell for their progress, but I still hope Silverlight is a total failure and just goes away.
            Either that, or that tne Moonlight guys make Windows and Mac OS X versions, and then embrace, extend and extinguish... If they could bring up the standard of the plugin enough on all platforms and make it have some advantage (ie. a speed increase or something) they could probably get any developers using Silverlight (well, the few that Microsoft aren't "encouraging" to use it) to tell people to download Moonlight instead. Then hopefully it might get more popular, they could add their own extensions to it, bringing more people to Moonlight as Silverlight became incompatible...

Comment

Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
              Either that, or that tne Moonlight guys make Windows and Mac OS X versions, and then embrace, extend and extinguish... If they could bring up the standard of the plugin enough on all platforms and make it have some advantage (ie. a speed increase or something) they could probably get any developers using Silverlight (well, the few that Microsoft aren't "encouraging" to use it) to tell people to download Moonlight instead. Then hopefully it might get more popular, they could add their own extensions to it, bringing more people to Moonlight as Silverlight became incompatible...
              I am pretty sure that there is already Silverlight for MacOS, since Mac users get play Netflix streaming videos. It is only our open source platforms that does have the official closed source Silverlight.

Comment

This reminds me of the Soviet Union. They copied a lot of the stuff that the Americans/British were doing, instead of making their own technology.

Seriously instead of making some half baked silverlight port they should have developed their own api with GUI tools in a flash sense(you know, those easy to use tools you used in high school). It would have been a lot better than the place we are in now with moonlight. Of course I do appreciate what Novel and all the developers do, but I don't think this is helping us as much as I had hoped(I was hoping for Netflix, but doubt it now).
                All that I can hope for now is that they will release the DRM, but I doubt that will happen. I was really worried something like this would happen, of course in the back of my mind I knew it would happen.

PS. By half baked I mean that it isn't a complete silverlight port because of the drm, and probably will never be.

Comment

Originally posted by gsacks View Post
                  I am pretty sure that there is already Silverlight for MacOS, since Mac users get play Netflix streaming videos. It is only our open source platforms that does have the official closed source Silverlight.
                  I think he was talking about making a Moonlight version for mac and windows so that developers could target that instead of silverlight. Of course that will never happen(targeting moonlight), but it might not be a bad idea to try.

Comment

Originally posted by sc3252 View Post
                    Seriously instead of making some half baked silverlight port they should have developed their own api with GUI tools in a flash sense(you know, those easy to use tools you used in high school).
                    If they developed yet-another-flash-type-plugin, they would then have to convince all the flash/silverlight web sites to support it, which isn't going to happen. The correct solution would be to convince big web sites to stop using proprietary, buggy plugins with vast security holes and to use web standards instead.

Comment

Working...
                    X