AMD Catalyst 9.8 Delivers New Kernel Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the release.

In light of all the problems people are having, I'll wait till the rpmfusion guys have a go at packaging it.

Comment

Still "not found" in the link to the release notes. IMO just shows how much attention they pay to the Linux release. It's not the first time they don't release properly.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
        91.7mb? Don't you just love to hate AMD/ATi
        and? all of a sudden size matters?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Still "not found" in the link to the release notes. IMO just shows how much attention they pay to the Linux release. It's not the first time they don't release properly.
          release notes always lag a couple of hours behind because they are done by different people. Now would you calm down? The drivers don't stop working magically without that notes.

Comment

preempt?

Does it already work well with preemptive kernel? (not voluntary) Preemptive RCU? And big kernel lock?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              wow, your not looking for a reason to hate amd.

the windows link also became active before the release - who cares?

Comment

New kernel support is good. Other than that though, I haven't noticed anything else improved..

RandR is still screwed for analogue monitors (since 9.6), spawning new X is crash provoking (since 9.7).

I seriously hope that these issues get fixed sometime, especially the crashing one as it just makes the driver completely useless. If a can't spawn another X server then I can't use my computer for much productivity anymore.

Well, at least the open drivers are progressing quickly anyway
                Last edited by poofyyoda; 18 August 2009, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by poofyyoda View Post
                  New kernel support is good. Other than that though, I haven't noticed anything else improved..

RandR is still screwed for analogue monitors (since 9.6), spawning new X is crash provoking (since 9.7).

I seriously hope that these issues get fixed sometime,
                  It looks like they barely catch with the NEW stuff, and our hopes for getting the OLD stuff working are grim. I dont mean to whine, but seriously, look at the absurd state of it: I bought a pretty expensive piece of hardware and my bug is there, with no reply, rotting at the UNOFFICIAL bugzilla.

Comment

*sigh* Still doesn't work for me, and it's the same problem I've had for ages - black screen/freeze with no obvious error or warning messages (other than "unknown third party board (..)").
                    I guess gaming on linux will have to wait some more.

Comment

Just installed 9.8, and I'm quite happy about the changes right now:
                      - minimizing fullscreen OpenGL windows (or games which do support minimizing) works fine again; as long as I have turned off compositing at least
                      - Nexuiz: bench1 FPS went from min/avg/max 18/33/74 to 16/37/93; Running Nexuiz in Wine runs at 13/33/84
                      - Wine:
                        - slow initialization bug from 9.7 seems to be fixed
                        - I can select Shader quality PC3 Low and High in Trackmania Nations Forever now (these settings don't work correctly though because I'm getting quite a few graphical glitches then...); running at normal quality (PC2), I always get > 60 fps

- Compiz alpha blur STILL does not work... C'mon focus blur works just fine, how hard can it be to fix alpha blurring?

Things left to test:
                      - xinit xterm -- :2 (oh well, would be cool if someone else could test it for me, don't have much time right now. Kept hardlocking my system since about 8.44)

Quite a good release for me, now please AMD, fix Compiz' blur plugin and this driver is perfect for me
                      Last edited by NeoBrain; 18 August 2009, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X