No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.8 Delivers New Kernel Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was probably for the open source drivers, where I was just summarizing where the community felt we should all be going - not "AMD saying that we are going to deliver feature XYZ".
    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      That was probably for the open source drivers, where I was just summarizing where the community felt we should all be going - not "AMD saying that we are going to deliver feature XYZ".
      OMG time flies =x No it was the AMD Catalyst roadplan but I see it's from 2008 and it said Protected HD Playback on Linux (OEM only) for version 8.xx. I guess the roadmap is too old :P

Comment

• I don't remember seeing that - is there a link ?
        Test signature

Comment

• Yeah here are the two pictures from a Dutch website: http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/news/...river_roadmap/

Comment

• That looks like a leak, not something we released...
            Test signature

Comment

• 9.9 catalyst fix the shame!

Hi Yall and Bridgman

sorry about the "E", late night posts mean my attention to detail wanes.

Thanks also for the note of clarification and I appreciate the wee dance you have to do, between what you are allowed to say and/vs what it is users want to know.

duffster does have a (imho), valid point. I would *not* have dumped my 4870/512, if I had known you guys were working on closed source HD decode, driver code (come on Dirk, hire some more coders to do the Linux thing-please). A year later and I'm getting a tad itchy and I'm in the dark, to wit mushroomed....

So, please do release roadmaps and it would hardly do you any harm, with your competitor having a actualized feature (HD decode), saying, "watch this space!"

So much then for feature requests from loyal customerz.

Have a fun weekend.

*BFN*
              GreekGeek. :-)
              Last edited by GreekGeek; 05 September 2009, 06:19 AM. Reason: I borked the title .

Comment

• I've read a lot about the recent catalyst driver but most information seems to be about different versions. Also read this thread from beginning to end (except the part about power usage... thanks skipped that one)

I'm considering a 785g board for an extra htpc. My livingroom htpc will stay with nvidia using vdpau. But a AMD boards are cheaper with a newer socket (the 9400 series are all soon to be old sockets).

How is the overal quality and performance for playing SD video, 720p and 1080i on a 785g with for example X2 2.8ghz cpu? I know there is no acceleration for the comming time, only interested in the quality and performance.

Comment

• Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                  I've read a lot about the recent catalyst driver but most information seems to be about different versions. Also read this thread from beginning to end (except the part about power usage... thanks skipped that one)

I'm considering a 785g board for an extra htpc. My livingroom htpc will stay with nvidia using vdpau. But a AMD boards are cheaper with a newer socket (the 9400 series are all soon to be old sockets).

How is the overall quality and performance for playing SD video, 720p and 1080i on a 785g with for example X2 2.8ghz cpu? I know there is no acceleration for the coming time, only interested in the quality and performance.

I can see 1080p MKVs (x246/DTS) on an Athlon x5 5050e (2.5GHz) / Gigabyte Mobo with integrated radeon 3200 / 4GB RAM with VLC > 0.9 on a AMD64 Kernel >=.26.

Assuming you don't fold@home and have httpd serving 200 clients, it is more than enough. I never encountered problems with 1080p playback. CPU usage is high but I have a 45W "energy efficient" Athlon with a Zalman copper cooler. The loudest thing in that box is the occasional creek-creek sound of the hdd.

Btw,the "i" in 1080i is for interlaced (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i). SO the actual vertical resolution is ~800 pixels. If I can see full frame 1920x1080 x264-compressed video on a 2.5 X2, you can see interlaced ~800 / 720 on a 2.8 X2.

Also, I always build the latest "stable" version of VLC from source, rather than the deb/yum/rpm ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by CNCFarraday View Post
                    I can see 1080p MKVs (x246/DTS) on an Athlon x5 5050e (2.5GHz) / Gigabyte Mobo with integrated radeon 3200 / 4GB RAM with VLC > 0.9 on a AMD64 Kernel >=.26.

Assuming you don't fold@home and have httpd serving 200 clients, it is more than enough. I never encountered problems with 1080p playback. CPU usage is high but I have a 45W "energy efficient" Athlon with a Zalman copper cooler. The loudest thing in that box is the occasional creek-creek sound of the hdd.
                    Thanks CNCFarraday, I'm thinking about a similar tdp (the newer 45W athlon x2 2.8 or 2.9), which should be available in the next couple of weeks. haven't looked into cooling yet, don't expect that there will be any problems with such a low value.

Did you need any special configuration? or is it just installing the latest catalyst driver and there you go (sounds almost to easy )

Btw,the "i" in 1080i is for interlaced (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i). SO the actual vertical resolution is ~800 pixels. If I can see full frame 1920x1080 x264-compressed video on a 2.5 X2, you can see interlaced ~800 / 720 on a 2.8 X2.

Also, I always build the latest "stable" version of VLC from source, rather than the deb/yum/rpm ones.
                    I was aware of this, but thanks... extra info is always appreciated. By the way I intend to use XBMC with an VDR backend for the pvr functions.

I wanted to make sure the catalyst driver offers stable video playing capabilities.

Comment

• i also have a 3200 and have no problems with 1080p, using mplayer.

cpu usage is normally 15-20% on a phenom 9950, 2.6ghz. so you shouldn't have any problems with a 2.8ghz dual core.

Comment

Working...
                      X