Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well

nvidia-installer --uninstall

removes all nvidia code and puts back the backup files - enough to switch to fglrx later without problems. Of course when you updated those in the meantime then you have got older ones. But for system with very few xorg updates it works fine enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Technojunkie View Post
      Anyone else having trouble getting 9.8 to compile on 64-bit F11 with kernel-2.6.29.6-217.2.7.fc11.x86_64 ? My fglrx-install.log file says:

Code:
      [Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
      [Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
      [Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
      AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
      doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
      rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.GCC* .??* *.symvers
      make -C /lib/modules/2.6.29.6-217.2.7.fc11.x86_64/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
      make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.29.6-217.2.7.fc11.x86_64'
        CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
        CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o
      /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:431:6: warning: #warning "ACPI notification wrapping won't work."
      /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:464:6: warning: #warning "ACPI notification wrapping won't work."
      /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:490:6: warning: #warning "ACPI notification wrapping won't work."
      /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:514:6: warning: #warning "ACPI notification wrapping won't work."
        CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_agp.o
        CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.o
        CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_ioctl.o
        CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_io.o
        CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_pci.o
        CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_str.o
        CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_wait.o
        LD [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.o
        Building modules, stage 2.
        MODPOST 1 modules
        CC      /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.mod.o
        LD [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.29.6-217.2.7.fc11.x86_64'
      build succeeded with return value 0
      duplicating results into driver repository...
      done.
      You must change your working directory to /lib/modules/fglrx
      and then call ./make_install.sh in order to install the built module.
      - recreating module dependency list
      - trying a sample load of the kernel modules
      failed.
      [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to install compiled kernel module - please consult readme.
      Hardware: Phenom II, AMD780G (Radeon HD 3200).
      Your module is compiling, it just isn't able to activate the new module.

Look over my procedure posted here:
      http://http://forums.fedoraforum.org...d.php?t=228689

Comment

• Originally posted by blabub View Post
        I?ve installed for testing shortly Windows 7. The temps are 65 to 70C and I can set the fan speed.

My problem is, that my case is nearly burning with the two cards (an usb cable was melting cause of this!) in it.

I would be so much happy when I can set the fan speed, I missing the noise of the fan.

At all, this is still a bug:

Is there another way to set the fan speed?
        # To fix selinux issue with aticonfig, run the following line as "root" userID:
        chcon -t textrel_shlib_t '/usr/lib/libatiadlxx.so'

# to get fanspeed:
        aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get fanspeed 0"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff72 View Post

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=228689
          It worked! Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
            what shall the installer do? remove configs that were changed by the user? that would be equally wrong.

The installer could warn about it, that problems might go away if you remove that directory...
            Back them up just like they do with corg.conf and replace them with a fresh copy. Granted initial config just adds the "preferred" ATI specific lines to xorg.conf and seems to leave everything else alone.

Of the problem with this solution is that the clueless/semi-clueless users will probably never figure out that they'd need to go back and re-edit those file to get whatever functionality it was that they had back as well as leaving off anything that for somereason might now need to be left off.

As to freezing: I've managed to play some videos after awaking from sleep now, but I'm not ready to write that bug off yet.

Still have the random black areas of screen corruption, correctable by forced screen refreshes. Seems to occur randomly, and I'd guess that it's confined to the 2D portion of the driver as I've never noticed a similar effect in 3D apps although those are usually updating on a fairly regular basis so it would be difficult to detect. (60Hz or more full screen refreshes...)

I also still have compiz/beryl off, but I suspect that I'll never turn it on again until the OSS drivers are beta and have good 3D support for R7XX chips...

Actually the biggest problem that I EVER had with nVidia drivers, now that I think of it, is the entirely arcane way in which they are installed. AMD I will say is nice in that they leverage users to, apparently, provide instalaltion scripts to build nice install packages for "officially" supported distros while with nVidia it seems you either take what the distro has or the generic nVidia package, of course I usually built my own packages from those but it wasn't as easy as with AMD drivers, i.e. took nore time and could sometimes be more problematic yet they still are of much higher quality than catalyst. (The tradeoff being that I spend less time isolating driver problems with nVidia than AMD AFTER driver installation... so in the end nVidia wins on time spent.)
            Last edited by cutterjohn; 22 August 2009, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• or you are using a cool distro where the new configs are stored besides the old ones and you are remembered to merge them. Also cool fistris, like gentoo, have all the tools to easily do that (etc-update, cfg-update)

Comment

• btw, I edited the xorg-server ebuild to add the fedora_dont_backfill_bg_none.patch patch and installed the very latest qt version while I was at it.

composite is on. 2d speed is PERFECT. There are NO slowdowns. Resizing windows is an instant action. No corruption so far.

This patch should be standard everywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  and it works with 2.6.29+30 without patches.

So what is your problem?
                  Running Fedora 10 and installed "generic" kernel 2.6.29.6 from kernel.org. 9.8 does compile (with errors) but does not install.
                  Details:
                  laptop: Sony vaio vgn-fw139e
                  uname: 2.6.29.6
                  ACPI wrap errors.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
                  Partha

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff72 View Post

http://http://forums.fedoraforum.org...d.php?t=228689
                    Your procedure doesn't say anything about how it is not activating? What exactly is the solution to "errors while installing fglrx"?

Thanks,
                    Partha

Comment

• you could start with like posting the error message.

Comment

Working...
                      X