No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.8 Delivers New Kernel Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok i got my new dell 1555 and im trying to play hon...
    the games runs just fine, but when it is maximized it stays on top even if i switch the desktop (im using compiz)
    the mouse indicates that i did switch the desktop and i can use the other application, but the display still shows hon...
    the fullscreen window isnt redirected. if i play the game windowed everything works just fine.
    havent tried without compositing yet, but this sucks and maybe somebody here had the problem and knows a fix..
    thanks in advance
    Last edited by Pfanne; 05 September 2009, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
      Thanks CNCFarraday, I'm thinking about a similar tdp (the newer 45W athlon x2 2.8 or 2.9), which should be available in the next couple of weeks. haven't looked into cooling yet, don't expect that there will be any problems with such a low value.
      Well depends. At home, in the room I spend most of my time and also watch films, there are 4 machines right now. I've invested in top range zalman coolers for all on cpus (zm 9600 / 99000) and video cards (the dedicated ones).

It doesn't hurt to put a nice big copper cooler, even on a 45W CPU.

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
      Did you need any special configuration? or is it just installing the latest catalyst driver and there you go (sounds almost to easy )
      Well, I tested it on Debian/Ubuntu/OpenSuSe, all AMD64 kernel.26 and all with VLC 1.0.1 compiled from source with the support modules compiled by hand. But that's because I use special build systems on all machines and "normal" builds won't do. Also, all have Catalyst 9.8. I had some problems with Debian, there's a bug when installing some packages that depend on libglu1-mesa and then installing ATi's fglrx blob, the libGLU.so.1 won't link when compiling VLC.

I can't say anything about HDMI and such as I don't have any HDMI capable display. Also, no info on PVR/TV stuff. I don't have a TV for like 8 years or so...

Comment

• has Zalman finally learned there lesson and use PWM fans or do they still use their shitty fancontrol? And what about changing the fans? Is that still a 'well, I have to replace the whole thing' operation?
        Their attaching system, still a cluster f***?

Btw, Scythe Shuriken..... now that is a small, quiet cooler.

have a look at frostytech - they test coolers for a living.

Comment

• ok i checked.
          the same happens with metacity, too. (no compositing)

Comment

• Doesn't metacity have a compositor as well these days ? Just checking...
            Last edited by bridgman; 06 September 2009, 12:31 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

• i checked.
              metcitys compositor isnt activated by default, so its the same with or without compositing.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                has Zalman finally learned there lesson and use PWM fans or do they still use their shitty fancontrol? And what about changing the fans? Is that still a 'well, I have to replace the whole thing' operation?
                Their attaching system, still a cluster f***?

http://www.frostytech.com/
                I always used zalman, since they became available. I have Zalman GPU coolers, Zalman Video coolers and Zalman PSUs. The one thing where they go wrong are case fans. 120/90mm case fans are loud and have poor life.

From what I've seen and used, only Noctua CPU coolers and case fans are better (more flow, less noise, better build quality etc).

As for Zalman coolers, the ones I have ( 8700, 9500, 9700 ) are great from the noise/cooling power ratio. It is true they come with the crappy Zalman fan controller ("FAN MATE 2", which sounds like some Russel Crowe fan club or something ) and that the older models have no PWM compatible plug (the 9700 one is newer and has this type of plug). However I put in two of my cases a Zalman ZM-MFC2 fan controller, mainly because they come with a watt-meter to hook up to your PSU and they have compatible plugs for their coolers and fans and I use the ZM-MFC2 to throttle the fans and CPU cooler.

Also, the fans on the coolers I have are not user replaceable. The coolers don't have 90/120mm fans attached to the fins/body that can be removed and replaced by another generic 90/120mm fan.

As I've said, these coolers serve me well. I have the 9500 and the 8700 for almost two years and they are still doing their job. If I'll have to replace them, maybe I'll take a second look at Noctua's line, but for now they work good.

Comment

• Originally posted by CNCFarraday View Post
                  *snip*
                  I can't say anything about HDMI and such as I don't have any HDMI capable display. Also, no info on PVR/TV stuff. I don't have a TV for like 8 years or so...
                  i'll look into the hdmi part... thats kind of important because my girlfriend don't want to swich on the amplifier (to much work or something )
                  Last edited by tmpdir; 06 September 2009, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                    *snip*

http://www.frostytech.com/
                    The Scythe Shuriken is excellent, have it in my livingroom... no sound at all at 60 cm distance.

Didn't know about frostytech... will read there before buyning my next shuriken
                    Last edited by tmpdir; 06 September 2009, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X