Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Week: Benchmarking, Benchmarking, & IGDNG

Phoronix: This Week: Benchmarking, Benchmarking, & IGDNG

This week at Phoronix we published two articles that had benchmarks that generated quite a bit of interest and feedback: The Cost of SELinux, Audit, and Kernel Debugging and Arch Linux 2009.8 Benchmarks. The test results in these two articles were, of course, powered by the Phoronix Test Suite, for which we had additional news about this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    only nvidia and amd have a solution to have the same driver base to windows,macos and linux.
    So read this part again:

Originally posted by vermaden
    Many people scream to use ATI or nVidia cards, but AMD does not provide their drivers to NetBSD and FreeBSD, nVdidia only provides i386 driver for FreeBSD, but there is no amd64 version, and no version for NetBSD either.
    There WILL be diffrences in drivers and so, but ALL tested systems have ACCELRATED 2D/3D drivers for Intel cards.

AMD does not offer ANY drivers for FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenSolaris.

nVidia only offers limited i386 driver for FreeBSD and NOTHING for NetBSD.

The other way to be EQUAL for all systems will be using some old graphics card/untypical card where ALL systems will be forced to use 2D VESA driver to accomplish same slowdown everywhere ...

Comment

I wonder actually if the old cards would even be faster with vesa than modern ones. New cards might be designed for a bit different purposes.

Comment

@nanonyme

Not the point mate, if we cant provide similar grapchics accelration for all systems, then turn it off for all systems, so benchmarks will be fair, but IMHO Intel sollution is far better (and all tested systems support it).

Comment

marketshare:windows 82% macos 7% linux 1% freebsd 0% netbsd 0% opensolaris 0%
          I believe that is supposed to be 92% Windows.

Comment

to test on intel systems only for 0% of the market share is useless.

why hurt linux by making the benchmark test exakly in a way that linux only can lose only becourse FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenSolaris also will play with ? ? ?
            LOL?

So why bother benchmarking at all if you want to discriminate other systems at start :ASD

Intel owns MOST current graphics card market so this is the most popullar hardware btw.

Other thing that you would not say that a year ago when Linux also was 0% market share ...

Also Linux has THE SAME CHANCES as other systems on Intel hardware, its still THE SAME HARDWARE you know?
            Last edited by vermaden; 17 August 2009, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I suspect this covers mainly desktop systems. Statistics for server-only systems might show quite a bit smaller percentage for Windows. (though still a significant one) But yeah, as said before, where's the missing 10%? :3 Is there an invisible operating system getting market share!?!

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                I suspect this covers mainly desktop systems. Statistics for server-only systems might show quite a bit smaller percentage for Windows. (though still a significant one) But yeah, as said before, where's the missing 10%? :3 Is there an invisible operating system getting market share!?!
                Pirated windows :P That should really have larger market share but still

Comment

macos has diverend compiler to macos use the intel compiler much much much faster than the GCC compiler!
                  What are you smoking? OS X's compiler is GCC. 10.6 will also feature clang with LLVM. No intel compiler at all.

Comment

be sure macos is compile by the intel compiler.

only the installed compiler for the users are gcc....

you also can install gcc on an windows and windows is compilet by the microsoft compiler.
                    Dude I worked for Apple for 5 years, I know exactly what development tools they use.

Mac OS X includes all the tools, frameworks, and documentation you need to create fantastic applications for the Mac. Xcode is the same professional developer toolset used by Apple to create Mac OS X, as well as many great Apple applications, and Xcode is included with every copy of Mac OS X. As new hardware or platforms are released, updated versions of Xcode to support these platforms will be available to download from the ADC website. Xcode's documentation is regularly updated using RSS downloads so you always have the latest information.
                    The Xcode IDE is optimized to create fantastic Cocoa applications, but it also supports an open, extensible architecture that is great for developing portable UNIX tools using the GCC compiler, experimenting with the latest script languages, and building rich Web-based applications. Bundled are industry-leading analysis tools such as Instruments that make it even easier to maximize the 64-bit and multi-core hardware of the latest Macs.

Comment

Working...
                    X