Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Driver Picks Up VBOs, OQ Support

Phoronix: Radeon Driver Picks Up VBOs, OQ Support

There are quite a number of changes in store for Mesa 7.6, such as new state trackers for Gallium3D, other Gallium3D-specific improvements, optimized IR, and many changes to the different Mesa 3D drivers. Adding to that list, the open-source ATI R300+ driver has just picked up support for Vertex Buffer Objects and Occlusion Queries. The vbo_clean branch was merged into Mesa over the weekend, which adds hardware-based VBO support for those with newer ATI Radeon graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't stress enough the importance of this addition. Mesa git master should now report OpenGL 1.5 for ATI cards R300-R500. OTOH, what took them so long?

Comment

benchmarks

I can't wait for you guys to benchmark these new drivers. A nice comparison with the older OSS and the latest Catalyst.

Comment

This is awesome news! Occlusion support is something i've been looking forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by crumja View Post
          I can't stress enough the importance of this addition. Mesa git master should now report OpenGL 1.5 for ATI cards R300-R500. OTOH, what took them so long?
          Great! The open drivers are finally moving from toy to real 3d support.

This couldn't be implemented earlier, due to the lack of a memory manager.

Comment

Meh, already the former OpenGL 1.4 support was imo pretty much more than a toy...
            Wonder how many actual features there are left to go (in addition to the bug fixes) before they can focus on Gallium3D and OpenGL 2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              Meh, already the former OpenGL 1.4 support was imo pretty much more than a toy...
              Wonder how many actual features there are left to go (in addition to the bug fixes) before they can focus on Gallium3D and OpenGL 2.0.
              IIRC the only real big addition between GL 1.5 and 2.0 was the introduction of GLSL. So I guess, that's what's needed to bump up the version (does the OSS driver support GLSL already?).

EDIT: OK, not just GLSL, there was also: Point Sprites (GL_ARB_point_sprite), Separate Blend Equation (GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate) and Separate Stencil (GL_ATI_separate_stencil). But the others are relatively minor in comparison to GLSL.
              Last edited by Kazade; 17 August 2009, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Can't wait till this starts shipping with distros, since my kernel update I can only use the OSS drivers, and they really needed VBO. Keep the good work!

Comment

hmmmm
                  HMMMMM
                  NEAT!
                  I have nothing against the blob (it always worked on my 9600pro, now I have hd4850 and it also works) but such great improvements in open source driver are very welcome! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    Depends on your viewpoint, I guess. Personally, I consider anything less than OpenGL 2.1 + FBOs a "toy" - we are talking about 6 year old features here!

(Not bashing the open-source drivers, just saying I'd *really* love GLSL support so I can finally drop the damned fixed-function codepath from my applications).
                    Last edited by BlackStar; 17 August 2009, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X