Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Development Work Towards GIMP 2.8 Solidifies

Phoronix: Development Work Towards GIMP 2.8 Solidifies

The developers behind the popular GIMP graphics application have announced the first development release in the road towards GIMP 2.8.0. GIMP 2.7.0 is this first development release and it brings a horde of changes and improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"As is showed" -> "As is shown"

Comment

"GIMP 2.8 is set to introduce many user-interface improvements"

Single-window mode maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
        Single-window mode maybe?
        You wish. I don't think the developers are going to go for it. :/

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          You wish. I don't think the developers are going to go for it. :/
          Yeah, they're making sure GIMP always stays a second-grade image editor.

Comment

I'd rather the choice between single window mode, and multi-window mode. I do have a reason for multi-window sometimes, so don't get rid of it, just also allow single window.

Comment

I agree mirv. The multi window mode is useful when i'm multitasking.

Comment

Just what use cases are there for a single window?

• Gimp utility windows don't show up in the task bar (on Windows and GNOME at least).
                • Gimp utility windows are on top of the image windows, but don't obscure the image because:
                • Your image is not constrained to the image window, you can scroll beyond the borders.
                • When you select an image from the task bar, all utility windows will show up too.

But utility windows have at least two advantages:

• Implicit multi-monitor support.
                • Multitasking is more like Mac OS X: your panels stay in the same place, but work on the current image. It's document-centric.

So, why would you want a single window?

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
                  Just what use cases are there for a single window?
                  It doesn't look like a confusing mess?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    It doesn't look like a confusing mess?
                    Exactly, it makes a mess on the desktop. To make things worse I usually need Gimp when I'm doing something, meaning that lots of windows will already be open. It's very easy to lose Gimp's windows, and you'll spend lots of unnecessary time clicking around the desktop to get to them. It's simply annoying.

Comment

Working...
                    X