A Big Operating System Benchmark Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Micheal,
    How about having a test with all 32 and 64 bit linux suggested above first. And the winner (with the most/widely used)--that makes two distros--will 'challange' the others.

Same for *BSD.

so, you got 2 Linux distro vs. 1--winner--*BSD vs. opensolaris vs. MacOSX vs. the rest OSes..

Oh, and If you kind enough, please repeat the test again when big distro has out of their nest (opensuse, mandriva, ubuntu, fedora).

TQ
    Last edited by t.s.; 15 August 2009, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DDevine View Post
      I would really like to see Haiku OS thrown into this mix, though I am not sure it will run PTS.
      I have wanted to bring PTS to Haiku, but do they even have PHP available for Haiku yet?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Benchmark

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: A Big Operating System Benchmark Comparison

Next month at Phoronix we intend to conduct a large benchmarking comparison of a few different operating systems. Right now we are looking at Ubuntu, Mac OS X (we will be waiting for 10.6 "Snow Leopard"), NetBSD, PC-BSD, OpenSolaris, and FreeBSD...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzQ1Nw
        I don't understand why the 'buntus always seem to make the lists. There are better distros out there, imo, such as Pclinux, Mandrive, and Simplymepis. The 'buntus always seem to leave something to be desired, at least for me.

Can you include a larger variety on Linux dstros for comparison?

Comment

no - it doesn't make the system bad, but it is an important enough application to where many people would care more about that then a small performance boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            he also can ignor this smellyapplecrappeaceofmacosshit...

i vote vor ignor macos!
            I vote to ignore your incoherent uninformed ramblings that are out of touch with reality.

Comment

We need to see gentoo represented

I also think we need to see gentoo represented in this benchmark. You can argue that there is no such thing as a stock gentoo - but why not just make a basic install and some sane USE and CFLAGS and specify these in the benchmark alongside all the other distro specifications. It would be very interesting to see what difference gcc flags make.

gentoo mentioned in this forum:

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                I vote to ignore your incoherent uninformed ramblings that are out of touch with reality.
                i second that notion

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                  i second that notion
                  Heh, I get too many flashbacks to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBVmfIUR1DA reading his posts.

Comment

Originally posted by woodchucker53 View Post
                    I don't understand why the 'buntus always seem to make the lists. There are better distros out there, imo, such as Pclinux, Mandrive, and Simplymepis. The 'buntus always seem to leave something to be desired, at least for me.

Can you include a larger variety on Linux dstros for comparison?
                    its a simple question of userbase - i agree, i think pclinuxos, simplymepis and others pound ubuntu into the dust as good begginning distro's.... but ubuntu has the press so ubuntu is what people use, so ubuntu is what gets tested.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
                      its a simple question of userbase - i agree, i think pclinuxos, simplymepis and others pound ubuntu into the dust as good begginning distro's.... but ubuntu has the press so ubuntu is what people use, so ubuntu is what gets tested.
                      thats personal preference. I'll take ubuntu over PClinuxos anyday so the argument saying its grind doesnt have any backing. Ubuntu is not the most used distro for being crap, its prolly not for the power user but for the vast majority of PC users it tailors very very well. You get views by being very good or being very bad, not by getting views.

Comment

Working...
                      X