No announcement yet.

Few notes about Carmack's keynote at QuakeCon 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another problem is that less and less people/teams just do it for the fun of doing it (since it is so much work) but rather as a way to enter the industry. Thus their mods often end up being just as boring as commercial titles as that is what they are trying to create as a show-piece.

So people... the fun is where the Open-Source games are, not with mods:
    Open-source game development community

Comment

Yeah sure :P I take Doom 3, Grid and GTA4 over those any day :P

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
        Well, it was among the announcements that the mac and linux versions of QuakeLive were going to be available on august 18,I believe.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/14/ma...inpage_joystiq
        Jep it's now available for linux, working fine with firefox...

Comment

iD's CEO took a bit of a shot at opensource development today as well on Shacknews:

Get video game news, reviews, and videos for thousands of PC, console, and mobile games at Shacknews.

Shack: He also mentioned that the iPhone edition of Wolfenstein 3D will soon support custom levels.
          Todd Hollenshead: John likes the idea, just like with the new stuff, just like with the old stuff, of releasing the editor, letting the community make content, having that be part of the game.
          I mean this in a complimentary way--John is basically a nerd at heart. I think he has some nerdy concepts that he clings on to. I think they're cool and all that, I think that maybe this consortium of Wolfenstein 3D iPhone developers that's out there across the world isn't as large as John might like to believe.
          It is kinda cool, the idea that you give these people these tools and they'll make all this content and they have fun making it and it enhances the user experience for the people that buy it and it makes the game more popular, which sort of turns back around to result in more sales of the game.
          Now, in theory, that's great, but I don't know it it actually works as well in practice.
          Shack: It's similar to the open source debate.
          Todd Hollenshead: Yes. They post on your site all the time, or they used to anyway: "Pokey the Penguin says Linux is free if your time is worthless." [laughs] That was one of my favorite quotes. To a large extent, I think some of that stuff is, you get what you pay for.

Comment

It is kinda cool, the idea that you give these people these tools and they'll make all this content and they have fun making it and it enhances the user experience for the people that buy it and it makes the game more popular, which sort of turns back around to result in more sales of the game.
            Now, in theory, that's great, but I don't know it it actually works as well in practice.
            Is this guy being deliberately blind and offensive or what??

OK, he's a CEO and not expected to know all the nitty-gritty, but surely he can't just be blindly unaware of the masses of really successful mods for iD's (and others') games? I really, really hate it when people have such a bad case of recto-cranial insertion syndrome that they will be that dismissive and insulting towards those who have clearly contributed to their success.

Comment

Originally posted by djack View Post

OK, he's a CEO and not expected to know all the nitty-gritty, but surely he can't just be blindly unaware of the masses of really successful mods for iD's (and others') games? I really, really hate it when people have such a bad case of recto-cranial insertion syndrome that they will be that dismissive and insulting towards those who have clearly contributed to their success.
              your right, look at dota for warcraft 3

Comment

Originally posted by djack View Post

Dude, man, chill, he's an accountant, he used to work for Arthur Andersen.

Comment

Not exactly news but worth noticing:
                  I went ahead and emailed John Carmack directly about Linux ports, considering nothing was mentioned of the sort at Quakecon 2009. I recieved this reply: > Dear Mr Carmack, I am just wondering if the graphics renderer for > Rage is still > built using OpenGL 3.* as a target? Will id still port to Linux if > user numbers are > small or not as big as say Mac OS or Windows?

I'm kinda curious if they would be interested in some sort of community sponsored deal to pay someone for the port?

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                    Not exactly news but worth noticing:
                    I went ahead and emailed John Carmack directly about Linux ports, considering nothing was mentioned of the sort at Quakecon 2009. I recieved this reply: > Dear Mr Carmack, I am just wondering if the graphics renderer for > Rage is still > built using OpenGL 3.* as a target? Will id still port to Linux if > user numbers are > small or not as big as say Mac OS or Windows?

I'm kinda curious if they would be interested in some sort of community sponsored deal to pay someone for the port?
                    For those that would just rather read it here instead of opening up another browser tab/window....

> Dear Mr Carmack, I am just wondering if the graphics renderer for
                    > Rage is still
                    > built using OpenGL 3.* as a target? Will id still port to Linux if
                    > user numbers are
                    > small or not as big as say Mac OS or Windows?
                    >
                    > Gratzi,
                    > naikon89

The PC and Mac versions are still OpenGL 2.x.

We are not currently scheduling native linux ports. It isn't out of the
                    question, but I don't think we will be able to justify the work. If
                    there are hundreds of thousands of linux users playing Quake Live when
                    we are done with Rage, that would certainly influence our decision...

John Carmack
                    > Ok, it must be alot more difficult to port
                    > than older id software games

Yes, it is. The codebase is much, much larger, and the graphics
                    technology pushes a lot of paths that are not usually optimized. It
                    probably wouldn't be all that bad to get it running on the nvidia binary
                    drivers, but the chance of it working correctly and acceptably anywhere
                    else would be small.
                    If you are restricted to it only working on the
                    closed source drivers, you might as well boot into windows and get the
                    fully tested and tuned experience...

John Carmack
                    *sigh* to bad shitty non-nvidia drivers give him an excuse to use.

Comment

And here again we see why monolithic engine design is a relic of the past and not scalable enough to meet the needs of today and in the future.

Comment

Working...
                      X