X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobility X1400 + Catalyst 9.7 + Jaunty

I am using a DELL Inspiron 6400.

I am trying to use Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04.

I am also trying to install the Catalyst 9.7 driver.

The installation reports no problem.

But as soon as I restart, the sreen will stay black with few glitches on top wich seems to be the progress bar and the computer will lock.

I did build the specific driver, but no lock.

The "Hardware Drivers" wich let you install proprietary driver doesn't show anything regarding any ATI driver availability.

What can I do ??

Thanks in advance,

Cygoku

The Catalyst drivers after 9.3 do not include support for the X1400. You'll need to use the open source drivers for pre-HD2xxx GPUs.
    Test signature

Comment

So I need to stick with the driver that Ubuntu installed (mesa) or use the "Legacy Catalyst 9.3" ... ??

Cygoku

Comment

Correct, however the "Legacy Catalyst 9.3" package works with Intrepid but not Jaunty.
        Test signature

Comment

Too bad, I was hoping to finally be able to start watching videos in fullscreen without having glitches in fullscreen. I am talking about the better compisiting support since Catalyst 9.5 !!

Cygoku

Comment

Pretty much yeah. Open drivers along with their Mesa drivers are moving quite nicely. Whether or not they are yet far enough for you, you'd have to find out yourself. Do keep in mind though that by using legacy Catalyst you can't use current X server versions so you probably end up switching sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygoku View Post
              Too bad, I was hoping to finally be able to start watching videos in fullscreen without having glitches in fullscreen. I am talking about the better compisiting support since Catalyst 9.5
              Hold on, something's not right here. The open source drivers already have that "better compositing support" for video playback. On your system the main advantages of the Catalyst driver are on the 3D side, particularly the level of OpenGL support.

If you're not getting smooth playback with the open source drivers in Jaunty give us a rundown of your playback stack, make sure you are using Xv output with Textured Video, and check your CPU utilization. It's not likely the drivers are the issue unless there's an install problem, say drm not running or something.
              Last edited by bridgman; 13 August 2009, 08:53 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Remember..

Make sure you purge out all the proprietary stuff if you're going back to open-source drivers.

Code:
                sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh  # (if it exists)
                sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
                sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon 
                sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
                sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
                dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
                Then reboot.

From: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...er?action=show

Comment

Eek, my reading comprehension skills seem to be going down the drain. What bridgman said, ignore my post.

Comment

Thank you for all your answer.

Maybe I will go back to Hardy if I can be sure that the mse driver will be the same as the one on Jaunty,...

Cygoku

Comment

Working...
                    X