No announcement yet.

AMD Publishes New Chipset Documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can use more than 2 TB, but one partition may not exceed 2 TB.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      You can use more than 2 TB, but one partition may not exceed 2 TB.
      The restriction only applies on the boot partiition. A simple workaround is creating a separate /boot partition and as long as you have CONFIG_LBD enabled in the kernel you should be able to use partitions > 2TB easily.

Comment

And you verified that on your system already?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          And you verified that on your system already?
          Yes, got a fileserver at work already setup like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cairo_BR View Post
            Hi lads, it would be good if ati linux users who have "old" graphic cards make a undersigned(I don't know if this is the correct word(google translate)) to AMD to they make patches to the old 9.3 catalyst driver be compatible with xserver 1.6 and, possibly, to new kernels. This could be just for while radeon/radeonhd opensource drivers aren't ready enough to manage video-out ports and 3d resources fully.
            I confess the impression AMD gave to me is that they don't care for their product users, and I've my notebook with radeon x1250/690M for less than one year. I, and I believe a lot of people, want to have the lastests resources that new distros, apps, games and bugfixes that depends of newer kernels(not only of the graphic card world) could give, if the situation won't change the "neigbhor's garden will always be greener"....
            Just to be clear.

The actions taken of removing the legacy ASIC Ids from the Proprietary driver was for both Windows and Linux, we share code between the drivers and so what happens for Linux, happens for Windows, and what happens for Windows, happens for Linux. The split was taken primarily along technology lines, and not time based lines.

Regarding the age of the product, we cannot control when an OEM starts or stops shipping a particular ASIC. The RS690 has been superceded by the RS740, RS780 and the recently released RS880.

Due to AMD's efforts in seeding the community with specifications as well as investing engineering effort to progressing the support for the older ASICs, the issues to the Linux community should be minimized due to the existance of the OSS RS690 driver.

Regards,

Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by hargut View Post

So in fact, all the stuff you'd need is supported.
              But maybe not directly via modifying the values with a "BIOS-UI".

Kind regards,
              Harald
              My interest here is in setting a lower voltage for DRAM; e.g. installing 1.6v DDR2 SODIMMs (instead of stock 1.8V) in my AMD Puma notebook to get lower temperatures and longer operating life. I would expect that this is something you'd want to do quite early in a boot process. Dunno of any Linux packages that would enable this just yet.

Comment

Working...
              X