AMD Publishes New Chipset Documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
    Hey nVidia, can you guess which video card I'm going to buy next?
    Wait there, don't take that step too soon, still the oss drivers sucks for newer cards, no power management and a lot of useful features are nowhere to be seen. 3D sucks and all of that.

Maybe in a year or so they will be good oss drivers but not yet. If you switch you will be another of the AMD/ATI depressed users.

Now, I really like this announcement, because that documentation benefits my chipset, and I sure hope the oss drivers get better for me now, they are improving, and are getting there but still there is like a year or 2 until they are the best oss graphic drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
      Hey nVidia, can you guess which video card I'm going to buy next?
      S3 540gtx?

Comment

I don't see a reason to switch gfx card - you usually don't boot from a gfx card A Phenom II as testsystem for Coreboot would be nice, i don't like outdated slow systems. But i guess OC would not possible with CB.

Comment

Of course we switch the manufacturer of the graphics card not because of the graphics card but we like the open source politics amd is doing!

Comment

What's the latest about CoreBoot on Intel platforms?

I seem to recall hearing they're nowhere near as open about this as they are when it comes to GPUs. Is this still the case today? Are there any petitions or lobbying going on to convince them otherwise?

Comment

Be aware that buying a random 780G mobo now and expecting it to be perfectly supported in coreboot soon will probably lead to disappointment.

Coreboot supports only a select few mobos, namely the ones that are owned by the coreboot developers and/or where manufacturers have been cooperative enough. So if you are interested in coreboot it would be wise to wait which mobos are going to receive support at all.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                What's the latest about CoreBoot on Intel platforms?

I seem to recall hearing they're nowhere near as open about this as they are when it comes to GPUs. Is this still the case today? Are there any petitions or lobbying going on to convince them otherwise?
                They are still as mostly unsupported at they were a year ago. Support has been added for some _mobile_ Intel Core 2 Duo chipset, but apart from that I haven't seen any change in the Socket 775 area.

I wonder how come Intel is such a nice player in OSS graphics but not for coreboot

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                  They are still as mostly unsupported at they were a year ago. Support has been added for some _mobile_ Intel Core 2 Duo chipset, but apart from that I haven't seen any change in the Socket 775 area.

I wonder how come Intel is such a nice player in OSS graphics but not for coreboot
                  3 letters why...... EFI

Comment

Now also SFI for Atom MIDs.

Comment

Hi lads, it would be good if ati linux users who have "old" graphic cards make a undersigned(I don't know if this is the correct word(google translate)) to AMD to they make patches to the old 9.3 catalyst driver be compatible with xserver 1.6 and, possibly, to new kernels. This could be just for while radeon/radeonhd opensource drivers aren't ready enough to manage video-out ports and 3d resources fully.
                      I confess the impression AMD gave to me is that they don't care for their product users, and I've my notebook with radeon x1250/690M for less than one year. I, and I believe a lot of people, want to have the lastests resources that new distros, apps, games and bugfixes that depends of newer kernels(not only of the graphic card world) could give, if the situation won't change the "neigbhor's garden will always be greener"....

Comment

Working...
                      X