Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat's Plymouth Sees New Activity

Phoronix: Red Hat's Plymouth Sees New Activity

Plymouth, the Red Hat graphical boot loader replacement that leverages kernel mode-setting to provide a clean and flicker-free boot experience, is in the process of receiving a number of new updates. Plymouth right now is largely just used by Fedora, but it's been picked up for Mandriva 2010, and Canonical was going to switch to it in Ubuntu 9.10, but that decision was retracted...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Argh... And I just figured out how to install GRUB on a clean virtual disk

Code:
      kpartx -l imagefile
      kpartx -a imagefile

mount /dev/mapper/loop0pX /mnt/tmp -o loop,rw # replace X with part. nr

chroot /mnt/tmp

#get device type (e.g. hda or sda)
      df -h
        # look also at "boot=" in /etc/grub.conf

grub-install --recheck --root-directory=/ /dev/sda

umount /mnt/tmp
      kpartx -d imagefile
      I have never understood why LILO and GRUB have to probe the BIOS just to install a boot loader. And why does it also have to do it for a virtual disk that is mounted?

Maybe Plymouth will clean this up?

Comment

michael confused this. plymouth is not a boot loader, but a boot splash screen. You still need grub. But your efforts were still senseless, since ubuntu karmic+ will use grub2, and the other distributions will likely follow

Comment

Originally posted by madman2k View Post
          michael confused this. plymouth is not a boot loader, but a boot splash screen. You still need grub. But your efforts were still senseless, since ubuntu karmic+ will use grub2, and the other distributions will likely follow
          HA! And I fell for it

Glad that GRUB won't be replaced anytime soon.

I am actually just reading about MBR, because I REALLY would like to know why the BIOS is needed to write a MBR.

Bootstrapping operating systems, after the computer's BIOS passes execution to machine code instructions contained within the MBR.
          But why is this needed for virtual bootable disks??? A Virtual Machine doesn't have a BIOS.

Apparently harddisks can not exceed 2TiB!

Because the block size is 512 bytes, this implies that neither the maximum size of a partition nor the maximum start address (both in bytes) can exceed 232 ? 512 bytes, or 2 TiB. Alleviating this capacity limitation is one of the prime motivations for the development of the GUID Partition Table (GPT).

So GUID Partition Table is going to be really interesting to follow!!!

Comment

All I know is, when I booted Fedora 11 and it decided to scan/verify my hard disk, the graphical boot just sat there like something in the background had locked up, with no status messages or anything. I removed "rhgb" from my grub.conf and that was the last of it. The text boot might not be as pretty, but at least it lets me know WTF is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
              All I know is, when I booted Fedora 11 and it decided to scan/verify my hard disk, the graphical boot just sat there like something in the background had locked up, with no status messages or anything. I removed "rhgb" from my grub.conf and that was the last of it. The text boot might not be as pretty, but at least it lets me know WTF is going on.
              Are you kidding? Text mode is so much prettier than ANY Fedora Theme

I have been using RedHat/Fedora for 9 years, and would never change, but their themes are the ugliest of all Linux distributions!

Comment

@Louise

I don't know what grub has todo with that topic, but /dev/sda must be wrong, even in chroot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  @Louise

I don't know what grub has todo with that topic, but /dev/sda must be wrong, even in chroot.
                  I did first try /dev/xvda, but gave an error.

With /dev/sda it wrote the stage1 in MBR.

Do you know an easier way?

Comment

This news post was the most useless one ever...

Comment

Working...
                    X