X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    @some-guy

Do you use a stop watch or bootchart?
    I have only measured suse with bootchart, which boots in 27 seconds, my setup is different from standard (no splash, 2.6.30 kernel, certain services disabled).

Ubuntu seems like it boots faster than suse, and suse is faster than fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
      I have only measured suse with bootchart, which boots in 27 seconds, my setup is different from standard (no splash, 2.6.30 kernel, certain services disabled).

Ubuntu seems like it boots faster than suse, and suse is faster than fedora.

You can also further improve performance by tweaking the mount options such as noatime and nodiratime.

Comment

Ok I have some VirtualBox stats to share. Bytes read until the desktop becomes usable (all icons appear, disk stops grinding and you can launch applications), sorted from least to most:

Arch amd64: 102MB
        Ubuntu 9.04 amd64: 145MB
        Fedora 11: 220MB
        openSUSE 11.0 amd64: 280MB
        Windows 7RC1 amd64: 305MB (but continues to climb due to prefetch)

Fedora and openSUSE are vanilla Gnome desktops with all updates applied. Arch and Ubuntu are also vanilla Gnomes, with Gnome Do set to autolaunch (which initializes the Mono runtime, hence more bytes read).

What does this tell us? There is a direct correspondence between boot speed and bytes read. Arch initiliazes the least services and reads the least bytes during boot - it is also the fastest. Ubuntu is a close second with the rest trailing far behind.

If you have a few GBs to spare, you can reproduce the results with VirtualBox 3.0.4. Use File->Session Information Dialog to read the results.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          Ok I have some VirtualBox stats to share. Bytes read until the desktop becomes usable (all icons appear, disk stops grinding and you can launch applications), sorted from least to most:

Fedora and openSUSE are vanilla Gnome desktops with all updates applied. Arch and Ubuntu are also vanilla Gnomes, with Gnome Do set to autolaunch (which initializes the Mono runtime, hence more bytes read).

What does this tell us? There is a direct correspondence between boot speed and bytes read. Arch initiliazes the least services and reads the least bytes during boot - it is also the fastest. Ubuntu is a close second with the rest trailing far behind.

If you have a few GBs to spare, you can reproduce the results with VirtualBox 3.0.4. Use File->Session Information Dialog to read the results.
          Very nice, thanks for sharing those results.

Comment

@some-guy

For bootchart thats slow, but i prefer booting real hardware:

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post

Tells me that you can easily improve your performance with openSUSE by looking at your YaST-->System--->System Services.

Comment

Working...
              X