Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Late X Server 1.7 Means No Update For Ubuntu 9.10

Phoronix: A Late X Server 1.7 Means No Update For Ubuntu 9.10

There's twelve days left until the release of X Server 1.7 and X.Org 7.5! Wait, there still is not even an X Server 1.7 Beta, which should have happened last month, so chances are slim to none on seeing a final release this month. The release schedule for X Server 1.7 / X.Org 7.5 has already slipped a few times, after it was supposed to be released back in April. X Server 1.7 will finally introduce X Input 2.0 and Multi-Pointer X along with some other improvements, but the tardiness of this release is beginning to jeopardize its inclusion into the next round of distribution updates for the Q3~Q4 refresh...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Take your time to make it right, I will stick to my nvidia binary stack for one more year.

Comment

I for one don't get it. Fedora has nouveau in 11 and it's, from my experience, working really good. Much faster than the binary drivers.

Maybe it's because they have Kristian and Dave

Comment

OpenSuSE 11.2 and Fedora 12 are targeted for release in November, and they both have hopes for using the new X Server
        Actually openSUSE has already decided because of the delays, X Server 1.7 and X.Org 7.5 will most definitely not be in 11.2. The 2.6.31 kernel will be in it but not the often delayed X projects.

Last edited by deanjo; 05 August 2009, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jteb View Post
          I for one don't get it. Fedora has nouveau in 11 and it's, from my experience, working really good. Much faster than the binary drivers.

Maybe it's because they have Kristian and Dave
          You will understand when I say I'm using a 8800GTX for OpenGL 3.2 dev works. Does the stable nouveau suit the job? sigh....

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            You will understand when I say I'm using a 8800GTX for OpenGL 3.2 dev works. Does the stable nouveau suit the job? sigh....
            it does however have the "stable" thing going on, a feature nvidia cannot boast.

Comment

Well, that stinks. I am sure it will be in a PPA, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
                it does however have the "stable" thing going on, a feature nvidia cannot boast.
                Mileages may vary

My nvidia binary experience has been very good for the past 5 months.

However, someone in here states that fglrx has been good (read, fast, stable, blah) for a long time that I just can't understand. To me there is nothing worse than using fglrx to do anything.

So while I can't convince you that fglrx is bad, so can't you convince me that nvidia binary blob is bad. It suits my need, it served its purpose. Just like what fglrx did to you all.

Comment

I can be happy as long as there's a PPA for it I guess..

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
                    LMAO, nouveau is about as "stable" Charles Manson.

Comment

Working...
                    X