Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Migrating to 2.0 from 1.8 & best HDD BM for video playback performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating to 2.0 from 1.8 & best HDD BM for video playback performance?

Congratulations on the v2.0 release!

My apologies for the newbie questions, but I have not been able to find the precise instructions for migrating from v1.8 to v2.0.

I have v1.8 installed on Intrepid and would like to migrate to v2.0.

I downloaded the v2.0 .deb file (Ubuntu-specific), but when I try

sudo apt-get install phoronix-test-suite_2.0.0_all.deb

I get the following error:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package phoronix-test-suite_2.0.0_all.deb

When I try

sudo apt-get install phoronix-test-suite

I get
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    phoronix-test-suite is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

(Apparently v1.8 doesn't know about v2.0 and thinks it's the latest version?... poor thing.)

I'm guessing I need to uninstall v1.8 -- would that simply involve deleting the
    /usr/bin/phoronix-test-suite
    and the
    /usr/share/doc/phoronix-test-suite/
    /usr/share/phoronix-test-suite/

directories? Is this correct?

Also, I plan to migrate to Jaunty soon... is v2.0 already in the repository universe?

Finally, I'd like to test the performance of an external HD for video playback performance. Is there a test specifically for this in the suite, or would something like Bonnie for sequential read speed be appropriate?

Thank you for your help... I really feel like a newbie here.

Code:
    wget -N http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/releases/repo/pts.debian/files/phoronix-test-suite_2.0.0_all.deb
    sudo dpkg -i phoronix-test-suite_2.0.0_all.deb

Comment

Thank you!!!

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Code:
      wget -N http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/releases/repo/pts.debian/files/phoronix-test-suite_2.0.0_all.deb
      sudo dpkg -i phoronix-test-suite_2.0.0_all.deb
      Thank you! My apologies for my late reply (especially given your hyper-fast one to me!).... only just now got back from an errand that took MUCH longer than I intended, lol!

Your command worked perfectly, I'm now happily about to check whether it makes any difference as to video playback performance whether my external HD is formatted using ext3, ext4, NTFS, or FAT32!

Thanks again for your help, and thanks to the Phoronix team for your terrific test suite!!!

Comment

I can answer without running the benchmark: Video playback is not affected by the choice of file system :P

Comment

Probably true....

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I can answer without running the benchmark: Video playback is not affected by the choice of file system :P
          You're probably right... the bottleneck is more likely to be the CPU or the GPU than the rate at which data is read off the hard drive, esp. on my laptop (~2 GHz Turion64 X2, GeForce Go 6150) trying to play H.264 or similar Hi-Def videos.

BUT.... I have read that different file systems (NTFS vs. FAT32 vs. ext3) and/or the block sizes can affect the response time of the WD TV (media player). NOT the playback performance, mind you, but how quickly it can find video files (for example), so I thought I should verify the relative streaming read speeds are similar before committing to a specific file system.

Comment

Working...
          X