Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoronix Test Suite 2.0, PTS Desktop Live 2009.3 Released

Phoronix: Phoronix Test Suite 2.0, PTS Desktop Live 2009.3 Released

Phoronix Media has released version 2.0 (codenamed "Sandtorg") of the Phoronix Test Suite, which encompasses hundreds of updates to its flagship testing and performance profiling software. Phoronix Media has also released PTS Desktop Live 2009.3 (codenamed "Gernlinden"), which is the first Linux-based desktop operating system designed exclusively for carrying out automated tests using the Phoronix Test Suite from a live environment. Phoromatic, a web-based remote test management system, has also entered closed beta testing.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm wondering if it is possible to install PTS in userspace? It's no problem with my own computers, but I would like to compare my systems with the systems at work (all running Ubuntu), where I don't have admin access.
    So, would I have to convince our admin to install or is there another way? Or could there be such a possibility in future versions?

Comment

Originally posted by anbog View Post
      I'm wondering if it is possible to install PTS in userspace? It's no problem with my own computers, but I would like to compare my systems with the systems at work (all running Ubuntu), where I don't have admin access.
      So, would I have to convince our admin to install or is there another way? Or could there be such a possibility in future versions?
      As long as you have PHP5 CLI installed, you can easily run it without any admin rights. Download the generic .tar.gz version, get into that directory, and then just run the ./phoronix-test-suite command.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks - I was sure it couldn't be as simple as that :-)
        Unfortunately, there is no php-cli installed, so that will have to wait..

Another question: I can't seem to install the SQLite and Minion tests on either of my two computers - any known problems here?
        SQLite was installed on one of the systems already (during beta or alpha of Sandtorg I guess) and I could start it, but deleting the folder and trying to reinstall failed.
        Minion I've only tried on my desktop computer, where it finally failed after several hours of beating my computers resources (at one point, the clock in the corner of the screen of ~? hour behind real time and the mouse pointer would only move occasionally). I don't dare trying to install on my laptop.

If the problems are known, what can I do to fix my setup?
        If this is new, what info can I provide to help fixing it?

Comment

Well I have problems here running the live dvd guys...

I boot from the dvd drive normally, the boot screen of PTS 2009.3 comes up, I choose my language(greek for me) and start the booting procedure...

First it shows some /dev/sda1, /dev/sda5, etc not found...
          it goes on loading itself, I get some OKs then it complains about some Kernel errors, then again OKs, and when it writes about PulseAudio load says OK my screen turns black and then off completely! The dvd continues loading itself normally to RAM, the PC does not freeze everything is working except my screen... If I get to console mode screen turns on again, so I assume it has to do with graphic stuff.

At first I run it with Hybrid Crossfire enabled, I use a discrete Radeon HD 3470 card and 'crossfire' it with the internal Radeon HD 3200 of my mobo.
          Well at the second try I disabled Crossfire from BIOS but again the same results.
          I connect my Samsung T190 monitor via DVI connector..

Any ideas?
          Last edited by djdoo; 11 August 2009, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Anyone for me guys?

Comment

Originally posted by anbog View Post
              Thanks - I was sure it couldn't be as simple as that :-)
              Unfortunately, there is no php-cli installed, so that will have to wait..

Another question: I can't seem to install the SQLite and Minion tests on either of my two computers - any known problems here?
              SQLite was installed on one of the systems already (during beta or alpha of Sandtorg I guess) and I could start it, but deleting the folder and trying to reinstall failed.
              Minion I've only tried on my desktop computer, where it finally failed after several hours of beating my computers resources (at one point, the clock in the corner of the screen of ~? hour behind real time and the mouse pointer would only move occasionally). I don't dare trying to install on my laptop.

If the problems are known, what can I do to fix my setup?
              If this is new, what info can I provide to help fixing it?
              I'm one of the developers of Minion, although I know very little about the phoronix test suite!

Compiling Minion in it's default build is a major undertaking -- memory usage can pass 700MB. On my dual core macbook, compiling takes around 59 minutes.

Even worse, if your compiler decides to compile multiple files at the same time, then memory usage grows to your number of cores, which is, I suspect, what is happening to you!

There are ways of compiling Minion which lead to a much more manageable compile, while leading to a reasonable (~30%) reduction in run-time. The simplest is to add ' -DQUICK ' to the call to cmake. I'd be happy to discuss this, and any other details about Minion and designed a good testsuite based around it. In particular, there are some Minion files which particularly stress the memory manager, while others spend most of the their time just doing CPU work in user-space.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJefferson View Post
                Compiling Minion in it's default build is a major undertaking -- memory usage can pass 700MB. On my dual core macbook, compiling takes around 59 minutes.

Even worse, if your compiler decides to compile multiple files at the same time, then memory usage grows to your number of cores, which is, I suspect, what is happening to you!
                I believe you are right - I was attempting this on an old Pentium D with only 1 GB of RAM. I'm not sure if Michael will find your information in this old thread, so maybe you should send him a PM?

I should have my new computer up and running by the end of next week and looking forwards to testing if it handles this better!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJefferson View Post
                  I'm one of the developers of Minion, although I know very little about the phoronix test suite!

There are ways of compiling Minion which lead to a much more manageable compile, while leading to a reasonable (~30%) reduction in run-time. The simplest is to add ' -DQUICK ' to the call to cmake. I'd be happy to discuss this, and any other details about Minion and designed a good testsuite based around it. In particular, there are some Minion files which particularly stress the memory manager, while others spend most of the their time just doing CPU work in user-space.
                  Thanks, I've made the cmake change in Git[1]. Happy to work with the Minion project more, as Matthew mentioned on the mailing list from your message there.

Michael

[1] http://www.phorogit.com/index.php?p=...0d76dc47b3a5b7
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X