OpenGL 3.2 Specification Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirv View Post
    Sorry, I was just curious - which extension exactly helps wine in the 3D area? Perhaps you mean that many of the new features available in opengl3.2 will be of benefit to wine - but the wine devs still have to incorporate the changes into wine.
    Several of those features (regarding D3D compatibility) have been available as extensions for some time now. OpenGL 3.2 simply formalizes those features.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
      [AMD is too working on OpenGL 3.2 for their Catalyst Linux driver, but based upon their past actions, it will likely be a few months before seeing such support.]

This is the single most hilarious statement I have ever seen in phoronix. Or should we say 'years'? LOL
      I'm not sure why this is so hilarious. After OpenGL 3.0 was released it took 6 months before it was supported by AMD. After OpenGL 3.1 was released it took also about 6 months (probably... latest driver can be used to create a beta OpenGL 3.1 context, so official support is probably close). So personally I expect it to take about 6 months before OpenGL 3.2 is supported by AMD. Just based on passed experiences.

Of course I would like to have support earlier, but at least the release of OpenGL 3.2 (with geometry shaders, texture multisampling and other nice stuff) means AMD will implement the new stuff. It might take a month or 6, but it will be there in a while, which is good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Heiko View Post
        I'm not sure why this is so hilarious. After OpenGL 3.0 was released it took 6 months before it was supported by AMD. After OpenGL 3.1 was released it took also about 6 months (probably... latest driver can be used to create a beta OpenGL 3.1 context, so official support is probably close). So personally I expect it to take about 6 months before OpenGL 3.2 is supported by AMD. Just based on passed experiences.

Of course I would like to have support earlier, but at least the release of OpenGL 3.2 (with geometry shaders, texture multisampling and other nice stuff) means AMD will implement the new stuff. It might take a month or 6, but it will be there in a while, which is good to know.
        As far as I can see, most necessary extensions are already implemented in Catalyst. Geometry shaders will likely take the most time, but almost everything else is already supported in some form. Hopefully we'll see a beta 3.2 release in less than 6 months - around October/November or so.

Now, if only Intel would get off its ass and implement OpenGL 3.0 on its drivers (both open- and closed-source)...

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
          Sorry, I was just curious - which extension exactly helps wine in the 3D area? Perhaps you mean that many of the new features available in opengl3.2 will be of benefit to wine - but the wine devs still have to incorporate the changes into wine.

and some others as well, http://www.g-truc.net/#news0170 summarizes that quite well. Basically really mostly for D3D compatibility purposes, but that's what Wine is about after all

AFAIK some of them are already used within Wine, so we just need to wait for support for these extensions in the drivers (especially in the OSS area)

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
            http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs...array_bgra.txt

and some others as well, http://www.g-truc.net/#news0170 summarizes that quite well. Basically really mostly for D3D compatibility purposes, but that's what Wine is about after all

AFAIK some of them are already used within Wine, so we just need to wait for support for these extensions in the drivers (especially in the OSS area)
            Ah, cheers!
            Yes, this is looking to be a rather good opengl release.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              OpenGL3.2=wineexstanion for amd

wine 1.1.25 allready has the wine specifig extansion for nvidia

OpenGL3.2 brings this nvidia-only extansion to AMD Carts!

in fakt OpenGL3.2 is an powerup for catalyst and amd.

not realy for nvidia becourse wine allready has the nvidia-only wine extansion.

on openGL3.2--- amd has the chance to have the same power in WINE.
              If you consider nvidia supporting extensions early then the others as "nvidia-only" then I guess you can say pretty much every OGL release has had "nvidia-only" extensions as they are always the first to have support for upcoming releases. Once again, if you want to develop cutting edge tech you have to use the nvidia blobs and wait for everybody else to catch up (ranging from the typical 6 month wait for ATi's blobs to years after in the OSS arena).

Comment

Just a small clarification: "Nvidia-only" has a specific meaning in the world of OpenGL. It refers to extensions released by Nvidia and not ratified by the ARB or other vendors. Note that this doesn't mean that other vendors cannot implement those extensions (it has been done before), just that it's unlikely (because they expose nvidia-only functionality). AMD and every other vendor can and do release extensions in the same spirit: "AMD_vertex_shader_tesselator" (awesome extension btw), "SGI_swap_control" and hundreds more.

OpenGL 3.2 has ratified some "nvidia-only" extensions and moved them to core (which means vendors are required to implement before they can claim OpenGL 3.2 compliance) or they have made them ARB extensions (which means that multiple vendors have agreed that this is how something should work and that they will likely implement them soon).

Wine has used some NV-only extensions to improve compatibility and/or performance with D3D. The ARB has decided that those extensions are generally useful and has promoted them.

OpenGL 3.2 is a very exciting release because: a) it brings some very useful stuff into core (base vertex index, geometry shaders, seamless cubemaps) and b) because it shows continued dedication on the part of the ARB. The ARB still has a lot of work to dispel the fears of the past (no public communication, updates delayed for years) but they are doing a damn good job right now.

Now we only need to make intel follow the lead of Nvidia and AMD. Their hardware maybe slow, but it's capable - it's their drivers that are really lacking in the OpenGL department.

Comment

Why is it a mistake to use the max out of existing hardware? ATI is free to add the same extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    wine only make an mistake... the wine devs think that the extansions was official in the openGL ...
                    Wouldn't it be pretty hard to make that mistake, considering that vendor-specific extensions have their own prefixes?

Comment

Is there any work towards "sanitizing" OpenGL? It is very hard to implement OpenGL properly in languages like java because you can pass args to OpenGL functions that will crash your program. This sort of thing does not fly in Java. If OpenGL or its wrapper were to do proper boundary checking on all its args it would slow everything down. I wonder if there is anything that can be done.

Comment

Working...
                      X