Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
    amd notebook cpus suck bigtime
    they still only sell 65nm k8 cpus which eat your battery in no time while beeing hot and beeing waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay slower than intel cpus...
    i've been hoping, that amd would finally release 45nm k10 based cpus but it doesnt seem that way and since im going to buy my notebook in about a month i cant wait for amd..
    second problem is, that for some reason ( i kinda think intel is to blame) no manufacturer sells highquality amd based notebooks... amd notebooks are always the crappy sort...
    shiny display... everything is bending and the notebook looks like crap...
    so im going to most likely buy and intel based notebook with an hd4570 which gives nice 3d performance but doesnt eat too much batterylife...
    Yes, maybe they do suck, but AMD drivers for linux also do suck but we are bying AMD's VCs, don't we. I am writing this from 3 year old Sempron laptop, and have no regrets on it. Thanks, AMD!

Comment

Makes me wonder why they gave up on the Geode... they gave a chunk of the netbook market away to the Via Nano.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
        Makes me wonder why they gave up on the Geode... they gave a chunk of the netbook market away to the Via Nano.
        Our company is making POS for gas stations, and sold several hundreds of VIA ITX boards past few years. Now are selling Atoms. How pitty that AMD is not on that market.

Comment

When does the appropriate code will be included in the kernel source? Or is it already?
          I currently cannot compile the agd5f branch, it fails somehow :

root@coyote:/usr/src/CVS/drm/linux-core# make
          sh ../scripts/create_linux_pci_lists.sh < ../shared-core/drm_pciids.txt
          make -C /lib/modules/2.6.30.2-vdb/source SUBDIRS=`pwd` DRMSRCDIR=`pwd` modules
          make[1]: entrant dans le r?pertoire ? /usr/src/linux-2.6.30.2-vdb ?
          CC [M] /usr/src/CVS/drm/linux-core/drm_auth.o
          In file included from /usr/src/CVS/drm/linux-core/drmP.h:85,
          from /usr/src/CVS/drm/linux-core/drm_auth.c:36:
          /usr/src/CVS/drm/linux-core/drm_os_linux.h:54: erreur: conflicting types for ‘irqreturn_t’
          include/linux/irqreturn.h:16: erreur: previous declaration of ‘irqreturn_t’ was here
          make[2]: *** [/usr/src/CVS/drm/linux-core/drm_auth.o] Erreur 1
          make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/CVS/drm/linux-core] Erreur 2
          make[1]: quittant le r?pertoire ? /usr/src/linux-2.6.30.2-vdb ?
          make: *** [modules] Erreur 2
          I don't mind compiling mesa, libdrm or xf86-video-ati from git but I usually prefer to stick to standard kernel sources.

Comment

they still only sell 65nm k8 cpus which eat your battery in no time while
            This isn't exactly true. AMD CPUs actually tend to use less power under load. Unfortunately, most battery benchmarks only test the system at idle which generally isn't really a valid usage scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by rvdboom View Post
              When does the appropriate code will be included in the kernel source? Or is it already?
              I currently cannot compile the agd5f branch, it fails somehow
              It currently only builds against kernels <= 2.6.28. I think there are some patches around for newer kernels. I'll provide patches against Linus' kernel once the API is stable.

Comment

For anyone who's interested, current rumours put Evergreen (The internal codename's not R800 as far as I know) in mid-September. It's a 40nm part so from transistor count alone it should be twice as fast as the first R700 chip.

Comment

I think I remember having read that AMD is about to release it's new Notebook-CPUs/Platform. Maybe those'll be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    Yes, maybe they do suck, but AMD drivers for linux also do suck but we are bying AMD's VCs, don't we. I am writing this from 3 year old Sempron laptop, and have no regrets on it. Thanks, AMD!
                    we buy amd gpus, because we like their new driver politics + the gpus are better than what nvidia has to offer...
                    we buy amd desktop cpus, because these cpus are good (bang for the bug)
                    i dont buy amd mobile cpus because there is nothing good about them...
                    compared to current intel cpus they just cant compete..
                    if they would release new 45nm cpus i'd buy them without much thought, but they dont release them, so i have to stick with intel (and i really dont like intel)

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    This isn't exactly true. AMD CPUs actually tend to use less power under load. Unfortunately, most battery benchmarks only test the system at idle which generally isn't really a valid usage scenario.
                    i think we can agree if i say, that current 45nm cpus from intel perform better with lower power consumption compared to current k8 65nm cpus from amd...
                    and i mostly look at benchmarks that test battery life while surfing, because thats what you do most of the time..
                    and intel systems usually do better on those.

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
                    I think I remember having read that AMD is about to release it's new Notebook-CPUs/Platform. Maybe those'll be better.
                    there were supposed to be preproduction samples on computex, but there werent and i never heard about amds new platform again...
                    i kinda am an amd fanboy but i have to use this notebook for years and so i will buy the best combination available at this point.
                    i already thought about buying a netbook and sell it, when there are some new amd notebooks, but i dont really know if i have that kind of money
                    Last edited by Pfanne; 03 August 2009, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
                      How far is this driver from running Heroes of Newerth? Or said in another way, when does this driver support opengl 2.1? Are we gonna wait for galium3d?

Thx for this great work!
                      HoN support is a long ways off; I can't even get it working on my Intel GPU. There is a texture compression problem (for all OSS drivers), which can be worked around by faking st3c OpenGL extension. But I get a mesa crash once I start a game, however it seems to be specific to Intel since it's crashing in i965 header. And Intel currently has much better 3D support than R600 in Mesa.

Comment

Working...
                      X