Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Compiz Running With Mesa On R600/700 GPUs

How far is this driver from running Heroes of Newerth? Or said in another way, when does this driver support opengl 2.1? Are we gonna wait for galium3d?

Thx for this great work!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pfanne View Post
    amd notebook cpus suck bigtime
    they still only sell 65nm k8 cpus which eat your battery in no time while beeing hot and beeing waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay slower than intel cpus...
    i've been hoping, that amd would finally release 45nm k10 based cpus but it doesnt seem that way and since im going to buy my notebook in about a month i cant wait for amd..
    second problem is, that for some reason ( i kinda think intel is to blame) no manufacturer sells highquality amd based notebooks... amd notebooks are always the crappy sort...
    shiny display... everything is bending and the notebook looks like crap...
    so im going to most likely buy and intel based notebook with an hd4570 which gives nice 3d performance but doesnt eat too much batterylife...
    Yes, maybe they do suck, but AMD drivers for linux also do suck but we are bying AMD's VCs, don't we. I am writing this from 3 year old Sempron laptop, and have no regrets on it. Thanks, AMD!

Makes me wonder why they gave up on the Geode... they gave a chunk of the netbook market away to the Via Nano.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant P. View Post
    Makes me wonder why they gave up on the Geode... they gave a chunk of the netbook market away to the Via Nano.
    Our company is making POS for gas stations, and sold several hundreds of VIA ITX boards past few years. Now are selling Atoms. How pitty that AMD is not on that market.

When does the appropriate code will be included in the kernel source? Or is it already?
    I currently cannot compile the agd5f branch, it fails somehow :

root@coyote:/usr/src/CVS/drm/linux-core# make
    sh ../scripts/create_linux_pci_lists.sh < ../shared-core/drm_pciids.txt
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.30.2-vdb/source SUBDIRS=`pwd` DRMSRCDIR=`pwd` modules
    make[1]: entrant dans le répertoire « /usr/src/linux-2.6.30.2-vdb »
    CC [M] /usr/src/CVS/drm/linux-core/drm_auth.o
    In file included from /usr/src/CVS/drm/linux-core/drmP.h:85,
    from /usr/src/CVS/drm/linux-core/drm_auth.c:36:
    /usr/src/CVS/drm/linux-core/drm_os_linux.h:54: erreur: conflicting types for ‘irqreturn_t’
    include/linux/irqreturn.h:16: erreur: previous declaration of ‘irqreturn_t’ was here
    make[2]: *** [/usr/src/CVS/drm/linux-core/drm_auth.o] Erreur 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/CVS/drm/linux-core] Erreur 2
    make[1]: quittant le répertoire « /usr/src/linux-2.6.30.2-vdb »
    make: *** [modules] Erreur 2
    I don't mind compiling mesa, libdrm or xf86-video-ati from git but I usually prefer to stick to standard kernel sources.

they still only sell 65nm k8 cpus which eat your battery in no time while
    This isn't exactly true. AMD CPUs actually tend to use less power under load. Unfortunately, most battery benchmarks only test the system at idle which generally isn't really a valid usage scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by rvdboom View Post
    When does the appropriate code will be included in the kernel source? Or is it already?
    I currently cannot compile the agd5f branch, it fails somehow
    It currently only builds against kernels <= 2.6.28. I think there are some patches around for newer kernels. I'll provide patches against Linus' kernel once the API is stable.

For anyone who's interested, current rumours put Evergreen (The internal codename's not R800 as far as I know) in mid-September. It's a 40nm part so from transistor count alone it should be twice as fast as the first R700 chip.

I think I remember having read that AMD is about to release it's new Notebook-CPUs/Platform. Maybe those'll be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Yes, maybe they do suck, but AMD drivers for linux also do suck but we are bying AMD's VCs, don't we. I am writing this from 3 year old Sempron laptop, and have no regrets on it. Thanks, AMD!
    we buy amd gpus, because we like their new driver politics + the gpus are better than what nvidia has to offer...
    we buy amd desktop cpus, because these cpus are good (bang for the bug)
    i dont buy amd mobile cpus because there is nothing good about them...
    compared to current intel cpus they just cant compete..
    if they would release new 45nm cpus i'd buy them without much thought, but they dont release them, so i have to stick with intel (and i really dont like intel)

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    This isn't exactly true. AMD CPUs actually tend to use less power under load. Unfortunately, most battery benchmarks only test the system at idle which generally isn't really a valid usage scenario.
    i think we can agree if i say, that current 45nm cpus from intel perform better with lower power consumption compared to current k8 65nm cpus from amd...
    and i mostly look at benchmarks that test battery life while surfing, because thats what you do most of the time..
    and intel systems usually do better on those.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhick View Post
    I think I remember having read that AMD is about to release it's new Notebook-CPUs/Platform. Maybe those'll be better.
    there were supposed to be preproduction samples on computex, but there werent and i never heard about amds new platform again...
    i kinda am an amd fanboy but i have to use this notebook for years and so i will buy the best combination available at this point.
    i already thought about buying a netbook and sell it, when there are some new amd notebooks, but i dont really know if i have that kind of money
    Last edited by Pfanne; 08-03-2009 at 03:43 PM.