Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 131

Thread: Compiz Running With Mesa On R600/700 GPUs

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MPF View Post
    I would have liked to be that enthusiast but this won't happen.
    To get a proper 3D support on r6xx/r7xx, you'll need the 2.6.32 (assuming the ATI devs would be in time to merge it to it next month).
    Ubuntu should use the 2.6.31 when release, so, there will be no 3D support for r6xx/r7xx cards on Ubuntu 9.10.

    That being said, I would like to tell that advanced users should use rolling distro so as more users could contribute to bug reporting.
    ubuntu has a PPA with hot new xorg, mesa, libdrm
    https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

    there are hot new kernels at http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

    this seems just as good as compiling from git, but with a lower risk of breaking everything

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
    The article brought up R800, so I'm wondering if R800 will be clumped together with R600/RV700 and use the same set of drivers.
    It won't be like the transition from R500 to R600 right?
    I am pretty sure that Bridgman said that R800 would be much more open source friendly to develop for, as the Digital Restrictions Management was separated from the acceleration in the chip.

    At least AMD came to the conclusion, that their time and money were better spend on fewer specs and more demo code.

    And who knows. Maybe AMD can reuse the R800 Windows Catalyst code (that have to be written no matter what), and use it for the open source drivers?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I am pretty sure that Bridgman said that R800 would be much more open source friendly to develop for, as the Digital Restrictions Management was separated from the acceleration in the chip.

    At least AMD came to the conclusion, that their time and money were better spend on fewer specs and more demo code.

    And who knows. Maybe AMD can reuse the R800 Windows Catalyst code (that have to be written no matter what), and use it for the open source drivers?
    I think he wasn't sure if that applies to R8xx or R9xx. R8xx is R6xx architecture still so shouldn't be a big problem I think.

    As for the distributions, I don't know if Ubuntu will backport it (possible, I think it depends more on Mesa 7.6 release for them), but Fedora 12 will have it for sure, I mean they're using Mesa 7.6-git in Fedora 11-updates already

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Cool!

    If I do
    Code:
    git log --pretty=oneline
    I get
    Code:
    93c8f01b09327d3b7de20a69d8a080fbc925977d R3xx: remove dead code
    6b5823a9076903353a15a044626cdd95483a797f R3/4/5: init pipe setup in drm
    d9efb8a763617a473aa7ef0a9400e76b9d487dfc RS6xx: fix performance regression
    f976af959fc9abe8a8b47b6ddbf3920ec25997ae fix warning
    60a478d85df9434c6620afcab0f4728b3c9155f9 RADEON: cleanup radeon_do_engine_reset()
    e2ea0ba9d442ad48d29bd3c7003a1079e9e9e4b4 R300+: fixup pixcache flush
    8a6127b25b676cd96d709db63836cad90f9a1b14 RS4xx: fix MCIND index mask
    849d4c3354674e4c72ac495628cc0c9dfb597471 RADEON: write AGP_BASE_2 on chips that support it
    f6dfe8ad84df7d172abbbb933378dcb126c75ba1 R300+: fixup PURGE/FLUSH macros
    ...
    which doesn't look like your recent changes.

    If I want to see your commit in --stat format, where I e.g. say something like
    Code:
    git diff v1.6.1.1 v1.6.1.2 --stat
    How do I figure out the version numbers or the hashes that I want to generate the --stat from?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    I think he wasn't sure if that applies to R8xx or R9xx. R8xx is R6xx architecture still so shouldn't be a big problem I think.
    So the R700 architecture wasn't as good as R600???

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Cool!

    If I do
    Code:
    git log --pretty=oneline
    I get
    Code:
    93c8f01b09327d3b7de20a69d8a080fbc925977d R3xx: remove dead code
    6b5823a9076903353a15a044626cdd95483a797f R3/4/5: init pipe setup in drm
    d9efb8a763617a473aa7ef0a9400e76b9d487dfc RS6xx: fix performance regression
    f976af959fc9abe8a8b47b6ddbf3920ec25997ae fix warning
    60a478d85df9434c6620afcab0f4728b3c9155f9 RADEON: cleanup radeon_do_engine_reset()
    e2ea0ba9d442ad48d29bd3c7003a1079e9e9e4b4 R300+: fixup pixcache flush
    8a6127b25b676cd96d709db63836cad90f9a1b14 RS4xx: fix MCIND index mask
    849d4c3354674e4c72ac495628cc0c9dfb597471 RADEON: write AGP_BASE_2 on chips that support it
    f6dfe8ad84df7d172abbbb933378dcb126c75ba1 R300+: fixup PURGE/FLUSH macros
    ...
    which doesn't look like your recent changes.
    you need to checkout the r6xx-r7xx-3d branch:
    git checkout -b r6xx-r7xx-3d origin/r6xx-r7xx-3d

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    So the R700 architecture wasn't as good as R600???
    Newer chips tend build on older ones. Both r6xx and r7xx have a similar programming model, so from the driver's perspective they can share a lot of code. Kind of like r3xx, r4xx, and r5xx.
    Last edited by agd5f; 08-03-2009 at 02:16 PM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,402

    Default

    I don't think the next generation is soon enough to have any differences in DRM vs graphics coupling - the development pipe is 3-4 years long and the top level design is locked down pretty early in the process. I wouldn't be expecting anything in that regard.

    Reusing code from Catalyst probably isn't an option since the internal designs are so different. We did try at the start of the project, but the changes required were big and it turned out to be a lot more work than writing the drivers from scratch.

    On the other hand, writing the open source drivers for the next generation GPUs while the Catalyst work is still relatively fresh in everyones mind is bound to help. That was one of the reasons we ended up getting the acceleration code running on 7xx first (remeber the "first triangle" back in August last year) and then working out the 6xx-7xx differences to get the code working on 6xx as well.
    Last edited by bridgman; 08-03-2009 at 01:01 PM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    But why you do not buy complete AMD notebook. CPU,GPU and chipset
    amd notebook cpus suck bigtime
    they still only sell 65nm k8 cpus which eat your battery in no time while beeing hot and beeing waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay slower than intel cpus...
    i've been hoping, that amd would finally release 45nm k10 based cpus but it doesnt seem that way and since im going to buy my notebook in about a month i cant wait for amd..
    second problem is, that for some reason ( i kinda think intel is to blame) no manufacturer sells highquality amd based notebooks... amd notebooks are always the crappy sort...
    shiny display... everything is bending and the notebook looks like crap...
    so im going to most likely buy and intel based notebook with an hd4570 which gives nice 3d performance but doesnt eat too much batterylife...

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chaos386 View Post
    I think the idea is to have a simple way to test the new code without risking your current installation.
    I remember the Fedora 11 Beta had a live image for nouveau KMS for one of their test days. Maybe they'll do something like that with R600 3D for the Fedora 12 Beta, or maybe it'll just get enabled in Rawhide.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •