R6xx + TV-Out - any success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by javum View Post
    Your xrandr output shows, that DIN is connected. It seems, that you should enable it by this command:
    xrandr --output DIN --auto
    No that doesn't work.

I also tried about a dozen variations of your config, but I couldn't get that to work.

(EE) RADEON(0): Cannot position output DIN relative to output LCD without modes

I guess because there was no edid for the TV, or it could be a bug I suppose in the git versions I have. It was quite wierd, the monitor was 1280x1024 (TV off of course), maximising a xterm in the top left of the screen would only expand to 1024x768 and if I then tried to move it, it would restore to original size then re-maximise when I moved it back. If I moved it outside 1024x768 and then maximised it would fill the screen OK.

Anyway, I know I've got a long audio lead somewhere, so when/if I find it I'll try composite.

Comment

Originally posted by legume View Post
      This is not critical error. This is just positioning problem.

Try to install arandr or zarfy utilities.They help to understand xrandr

Comment

No that doesn't work.

I also tried about a dozen variations of your config, but I couldn't get that to work.

I guess because there was no edid for the TV, or it could be a bug I suppose in the git versions I have.
        analog TV's don't have an edid, they only support one mode: NTSC or PAL, etc. The concept of "modes" on TV-out is really just larger desktop images downscaled to the TV's native mode (NTSC, or PAL, etc.). The best the driver can do is attempt to tell if something is connected or not which isn't always reliable with TV's. if the driver is not able to detect the TV, you'll have to manually add modes with xrandr --newmode/--addmode.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          analog TV's don't have an edid, they only support one mode: NTSC or PAL, etc. The concept of "modes" on TV-out is really just larger desktop images downscaled to the TV's native mode (NTSC, or PAL, etc.). The best the driver can do is attempt to tell if something is connected or not which isn't always reliable with TV's. if the driver is not able to detect the TV, you'll have to manually add modes with xrandr --newmode/--addmode.
          Yea, I was just speculating really as to why an apparently OK config (I did change to lowercase pal) in javums bug that sets up TV rightof monitor doesn't work for me. DIN does show as connected in xrandr and using xrandr does let me set up rightof etc.

but using xorg.conf to do the same gives the EE. and wierd behavior.

Comment

This is not critical error. This is just positioning problem.

Try to install arandr or zarfy utilities.They help to understand xrandr
            OK, but the xterm behavior was wierd.

Anyway I found an audio lead and tried composite, but it behaves exactly the same as s-video including making everything green when I quit X.

In some ways I am glad it didn't work as it looks pretty horrible (testing with vesa driver) compared to s-video.
            Admittedly not a really fair test, because it was only an audio cable and my s-video lead is a bit beefier, both are 10m. Xorg retro weave seems a perfect test to show that my TV has trouble distinguishing high frequency luma from chroma. It was just a mess of diagonal scrolling bands tinted red and green.

What make is your card? Mine is sapphire.

Comment

I remembered, that with the latest official xf86-video-ati 6.12.2 I have only one monitor (LCD or TV) worked at once and there is garbled screen after exiting from X, but xf86-video-ati-git works fine

Mine card is Sapphire HD3650 PCI-E

Comment

I remembered, that with the latest official xf86-video-ati 6.12.2 I have only one monitor (LCD or TV) worked at once and there is garbled screen after exiting from X, but xf86-video-ati-git works fine

Mine card is Sapphire HD3650 PCI-E
                Your card is close to mine then HD3850 AGP.

I tried with TV alone but it still doesn't work, I am already using git driver.

I did notice that even though it's off xrandr shows my vga monitor as connected and lists some modes.

Comment

I did notice that even though it's off xrandr shows my vga monitor as connected and lists some modes.
                  Any analog encoder can use load detection to see if something is connected. The driver can tell there is a monitor there, but since it's off, it's not able to get the EDID to see what modes it supports.

Comment

S-video TV out is now working for me with todays git, thanks to airlied's changes.

Only tested 1024x768 clone so far.

Comment

Working...
                    X