List of Great Linux Games:
In my opinion, a modification is a game.
* Savage: The Battle for Newerth (2003) -> Savage XR
* Savage 2: A Tortured Soul (2008)
* Heroes of Newerth (closed beta testing) (2009) - similar to DOTA
By s2 Games
* Quake 4
- Quake 4: HardQore
* Doom 3
* UT2004 - many mods
* Serious Sam 2
* Postal 2
* Urban Terror
* UFO Alien Invasion
* Jagged Alliance 2
* Oolite - a elite clone and more
* Vendetta Online - 3D space combat MMORPG
* X3: Reunion
* Lemmingballz - fun fighting game
* OpenLieroX - a collection of liero games
* Teeworlds - quake-style soldat/liero/worms
* Pingus - lemmings clone (many players just done the tutorial...)
* Fish Fillets NG - puzzle game
* GCompris - a collection of educational games
* Dominions 3 The Awakening - hardcore turn-based strategy game
* Crack Attack!
* Scorched 3D
* Dungeon Crawl Reference
* Globulation 2 - macrofocus RTS
* Neverwinter Nights
* Eschalon: Book
* World of Goo
# Penumbra: Black Plague
# Penumbra: Overture
# Penumbra: Requiem
By Frictional Games
* Spring Engine Based Games
Potential to be great:
Numpty Physics - replacement of
Egoboo - unstable
Soulfu - lack of Linux support
Xreal - graphic success in open source world
Spring 1944 - historical game need tweaking and balancing
0 A.D. - a AOE 2 like game in pre-alpha stage
Vega Strike - space simulator with very slow pace development
Q3 Rally - a modification of Quake 3/OpenArena
Liquid War 6 - beta stage
Star Wars: Imperial Winter - Spring-powered RTS
Once great projects now fading:
Very Good Games:
Alien Arena **** - use *current year* replace "****"
Spring Engine - Gundam RTS, Expand_and_Exterminate
World of Padman
Secret Maryo Chronicles
Free Space 2
X2: the threat
Free Space 2 engine - The Babylon Project
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________
Last edited by jiero; 08-02-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Jagged Alliance on Linux? Did I miss something?
Well it's on icculus' list so maybe it is(apparently dead link but publisher is titan computer...).
Originally Posted by jiero
You forgot Glest, Tremulous, Alien Arena and Warzone 2100 for the free games, and Sacred Gold as a pay title.
Also if you can get it to run, Alpha Centauri from Loki is great.
u kno your in a sorry state of affairs when you can list all of the decent games for your platform.
Labeling Descent 3 a turn based strategy game... geez... where the hell did you get THAT crap from?
Ah, that is a tiny problem compared to completely leaving out Battle for Wesnoth.
Originally Posted by Dragonlord
And yeah, in general I'd say that the list is rather incomplete, there are many more great (native!) open and closed source games for Linux. Some other good games missing from the list:
* Sacred Gold
* Ankh 2
* Jack Keane
* Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness (Episode 1 and 2)
Didn't know Ankh is on Linux too.
yea. Runs kind of balls tho. Shadows are garbage. Certainly doesn't display what ogre can do.
I'm not an usual MMORPG player, but recently I'm enjoying Regnum Online very much on Linux. Sure, it has its nags and niches, but the overall experience I get is very rich, especially when you get to the higher levels. The game is always under constant improvements and bug fixing and will only get better.
Those interested can check it at http://regnumonline.com.ar
400mb free download, free to play.