No announcement yet.

The FLOSS ethos and the morality of Cedega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO Wine develops a lot faster then Cedega. Cedega just had a head start and focus on getting only a handful of features/games working. It's not that I dislike Transgaming that much (although they did get lots of stuff for free), they're just a bunch of people making a living and they do give back some patches to Wine occasionally.

When it comes to getting games working in Linux I prefer the open-source model of Wine though. Being able to help out and try some community patches can be really fun not to mention a lot faster then waiting on Transgaming employees. They'd have to get it scheduled and approved, then someone has to run out and buy the game before they can start on it. I've heard they had some TG Beta program running now though, but to me that feels a lot like donating my work/time while they make money from it.

Comment

Thing is when Cedega kicked off (before WINE went gpl) it really was the only sol'n to windows-gaming in linux.

They marketed it well. With the promise of porting back their code to wine. A promise that never came...
      Not only that with time it became VERY apparent that Cedega was only going todo hot fixes to get the top games working. If your game no longer was top of the list they didn't bother fixing their code to repair what broke.

Likewise when WINE went GPL they actually started making more progress

But what really pissed me off was they were taking Linux users good money and then investing it into OSX work such that OSX could get Spore...
      makes me sick !

Comment

OMG!!! it is has gotten worse then when I last looked

just look at the number of games the Cedega has "brought" to Mac
        A Mac user just has to pay for the game and it comes with needed cedega files to work

BUT a linux user has to buy the game and then "licence" Cedega, if they stop paying, they stop playing

Cedega is just milking linux users!

Warhammer OnlineTransGaming's Cider Brings Warhammer Online to Mac
        TransGaming brings Tale of Tales new game to the Mac
        Freaky CreaturesTransGaming Brings Abandon Interactive's Freaky Creatures To Mac
        Ubisoft Announces New Mac TitlesUbisoft? Announces New Mac Titles (plural!!!!)
        City of HeroesCity of Heroes Now Available for the Mac
        TransGaming Enables BioWare's Jade Empire: Special Edition for the Mac

its discusting

Comment

lol. someone want to partner with L33F3R on a FLOSS website of shame?

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
            OMG!!! it is has gotten worse then when I last looked

just look at the number of games the Cedega has "brought" to Mac
            A Mac user just has to pay for the game and it comes with needed cedega files to work

BUT a linux user has to buy the game and then "licence" Cedega, if they stop paying, they stop playing

Cedega is just milking linux users!

Warhammer OnlineTransGaming's Cider Brings Warhammer Online to Mac
            TransGaming brings Tale of Tales new game to the Mac
            Freaky CreaturesTransGaming Brings Abandon Interactive's Freaky Creatures To Mac
            Ubisoft Announces New Mac TitlesUbisoft? Announces New Mac Titles (plural!!!!)
            City of HeroesCity of Heroes Now Available for the Mac
            TransGaming Enables BioWare's Jade Empire: Special Edition for the Mac

its discusting
            Not sure how you figure that Cedega is milking the linux users for OS X. Every one of those ports for OS X they get paid licensing from the publisher / developer for use of the Cider engine. That licensing free is us ultimately paid by the OS X user.

Comment

"Milking" is an appropriate term.
              Regardless of whether or not the licensing fee is absorb into the final product price, the end user only pays one fee. Linux users have to buy the game, and keep paying fees forever (or as long as they want to play the game). If that doesn't describe milking Linux users, I don't know what does.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
                "Milking" is an appropriate term.
                Regardless of whether or not the licensing fee is absorb into the final product price, the end user only pays one fee. Linux users have to buy the game, and keep paying fees forever (or as long as they want to play the game). If that doesn't describe milking Linux users, I don't know what does.
                If there were game publishers actually interested in publishing a linux release you would enjoy the same benefit. A license is guaranteed revenue, a middleware product that some may buy is not.

Comment

Yeah, but they don't choose to bring these games to Mac and not to Linux. That's what they are being paid for. It's the GAME PUBLISHERS that DON'T GIVE A SHIT to GNU/Linux users.

Now, about what Cedega did with the code they borrowed from WINE and built their product upon, they should have learned from Apple that released all source code they got from FreeBSD, KDE, etc, under the terms of the same FOSS licenses they got. Even the code they didn't have to. Now everybody praise them a lot.

But nowadays Cedega isn't that great when compared to the actual state of WINE, a true and complete implementation of the W32 ABI, fully binary compatible, with most accompanying libraries already implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
                    Yeah, but they don't choose to bring these games to Mac and not to Linux. That's what they are being paid for. It's the GAME PUBLISHERS that DON'T GIVE A SHIT to GNU/Linux users.
                    Exactly my point, you can bitch at Transgaming all you want but it is the publishers that decide what gets ported. Cedega offers a solution to ease the "port" nothing more nothing less. Lets face it Cedega has probably made more with just the EA deal then it did in years trying to live off a subscription base linux solution with a constantly moving target. With OS X they have guaranteed revenue through licensing, stable platform, and enjoy 3rd party marketing for their product. It just makes financial sense to support OS X vs a potential "hit or miss" market like linux gaming.

Comment

Im a Cedega member and I am one happy gamer. I just want to enjoy my games on Linux. Now Transgaming has said all improvements on Cider, they will implement back to Cedega. So for example warhammer online is in beta testing for Mac all-ready so pretty soon it will be playable in Cedega.

I have played both Crysis games using cedega and play left 4 dead on it just about everyday. Im just stating that I dont mind being a member and being able to play my games in Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X