No announcement yet.

The FLOSS ethos and the morality of Cedega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, I thought it sounded strange that Cedega would drastically change their business modell so you'd have to be subscribed to play.

I still think it's wrong that non-subscribers can't see more info in the Games Database. "Works with issues"?? Which issues, how serious are they? Are there workarounds? I wont know before I hand over my cash, will I? Just out of curiosity, which issues does Fallout3 have? I do know it's not on the cedega supported list, but that is rather short list considering how many games there are out there.

If Transgaming PR department have blocked that info, trying to make Cedega look better, then why can I still read the whines and gripes on the cedega forums?

Sorry to sound like I have a strong distaste for TG, Cedega or those that use it, I don't. I was a cedega subscriber a long time ago but since the games I wanted to play weren't on the cedega supported list I had to wait weeks or months before some Cedega developper accidently touched the right piece of code and hope that it did improve my gaming experience. With Wine I can benefit from some quick dirty patches from some other gamer or developer.
    Last edited by a7v-user; 18 August 2009, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
      I think i have to clarify some things...

The subscription modell of cedega hasn't changed for the time i'm a subscriber now..

You can subscribe to cedega for 6 or 12 month.
      If you don't renew your subscription, cedega will still continue to work. But you don't have access to udates or engines anymore...
      (sorry to bump so late, but this is an important issue...)

Newer versions of Cedega (starting with 7, I think) don't have an option to download the engine from the website manually and install it locally from within the program. Instead, you have to give the software your Cedega account details, and it downloads the engine for you.

This causes two HUGE problems, depending on how it is implimented (which I can't test, since I'm not a member any more):

1) If what you say is true, and you don't get engines or updates anymore, it wouldn't fetch the engine, and therefore you could never reinstall.

OR

2) If the program does allow you to download the engine (but only the last one available when you were still a member), it still has to "phone home" to get it -- this means that once your version is not supported anymore, or Cedega goes out of business, you'll never be able to reinstall.

Either option is completely unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedLincoln View Post
        Newer versions of Cedega (starting with 7, I think) don't have an option to download the engine from the website manually and install it locally from within the program. Instead, you have to give the software your Cedega account details, and it downloads the engine for you.
        So make a bzipped tar backup of your working cedega install and stop worrying about it. Though you are better off just not paying them for anything and discarding their product. Wine is more useful, Cross Over if you need paid support or a nifty gui.

Comment

Working...
        X