No announcement yet.

Intel Linux Graphics On Ubuntu Still Flaky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my brief testing, the performance of the latest Intel drivers is significantly better than what shipped in 9.04. Now I'm running 9.04 with a new kernel, xorg edgers, and an old 855GM chip (so there are limitations :-) ) so it's far from what you are testing, but I think the Alpha status should be taken more seriously. Perhaps, as suggested in many places above, test the Intel drivers on another platform.

Comment

@L33F3R

For me anything better then 30fps is great and does not stutter... If it drops below 25fps I can actually see that it's a choppy frame rate. In any case this is not what we are talking about here...

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Like I ask on most of your articles, have you raised a bug for any of these regressions? Either on freedesktop or with ubuntu?

Also how do you know it's Mesa 7.5 that's the issue and not libdrm or the drm kernel driver?

MAybe if you spent some time talking to the developers on IRC and less time running the PTS some of these regressions would be fixed

Hope you reply to this

Mike

The author doesn't know. This article is completely mislabeled. It's comparing Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10 alpha 3. No other conclusion can be drawn.

Way too many variables changed to know where the bottle neck is. It would be interesting to run the tests with versions 2.6, 2.7 of the intel drivers against the same Ubuntu 9.10 alpha 3 release. Then we'd know something.

Comment

From what I've heard on the Arch Linux forums is that 2.8 runs much faster on the 2.6.31 kernel than it does on .30.

From my experience on Arch with Linux 2.6.30, I get 850fps on glxgears with 2.7 and 550 with 2.8.

I haven't been able to try 2.6.31 on that system because I wasn't paying attention when I bought the laptop and I ended up with a broadcom wifi chip, and the driver from AUR doesn't support 2.6.31 yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
            [...]

I haven't been able to try 2.6.31 on that system because I wasn't paying attention when I bought the laptop and I ended up with a broadcom wifi chip, and the driver from AUR doesn't support 2.6.31 yet.
            Have you tried the driver included in the kernel, b43?

Comment

I hope they get it right for Koala

Jaunty was the worst release for me so far. I experience terrible graphics performance (yes, Intel chipset) and regressions with sound (low volume, no physical volume control).

Given the popularity of Intel chipsets on low cost laptops it is hard to believe Jaunty was released - a good argument for releasing when something is ready rather than a regular date.

I hope Koala shapes up to be a better release but this time around I will wait before doing a clean install to see if the important things are fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip-Rip View Post
                Have you tried the driver included in the kernel, b43?
                According to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43 my chip isn't supported by the kernel driver.

My PCI ID is 14e4:4315.

Comment

Can PTS run system updates every day at a given time, immediately run benches, and then make line graphs of a release day over day? I think that kind of thing would be fascinating to see.

Comment

..plus that would allow for articles like "Ubuntu 9.10 3d performance jumps 32% today with xorg intel driver update"

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                      Can PTS run system updates every day at a given time, immediately run benches, and then make line graphs of a release day over day? I think that kind of thing would be fascinating to see.
                      The Phoronix Test Suite is the most comprehensive testing and benchmarking platform available that provides an extensible framework for which new tests can be easily added. The Phoronix Test Suite is focused on providing completely automated, reproducible, and turn-key deployment benchmarking.

Continous integration and ongoing performance management is something I would dearly love to see lots of OSS projects pick up.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                      X