Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel Linux Graphics On Ubuntu Still Flaky

Hybrid View

Default Intel Linux Graphics On Ubuntu Still Flaky

Phoronix: Intel Linux Graphics On Ubuntu Still Flaky

Back in May we shared that the Ubuntu Intel graphics performance was still in bad shape after testing out very early Ubuntu 9.10 packages. The netbook experience was killed in Ubuntu 9.04 after a buggy Intel Linux graphics stack led to slow performance, stability issues, screen corruption, and other problems. Months have passed since we last exhaustively looked at the Intel Linux graphics stack, but we have just carried out some new tests using Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 3. This new development release of Ubuntu carries the latest kernel, Mesa, and Intel driver packages as we see how the graphics performance is with an Intel 945 and G43 chipsets.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14082

Somehow I wouldn't agree on performance of intel drivers, with 2.6.31-rc4 and xf86-video-intel 2.8.0 and mesa 7.5 everything works great, I play urban terror almost every day and not once did it froze my system and I have playable fps (25-40). We agree on the bug count, only one affecting me is brightness hotkeys that doesn't work when kms is enabled.

Sure that things could be better but I finally have performance that I had with EXA almost two years back. I have a GM965 chipset with x3100...
    Even though I have dual memory channel enabled (and I've heard that it is causing some major performance issues with intel drivers) I'm finally satisfied with current situation and probably just out of curiosity and not because of necessity will I test snapshot's of intel drivers. Stability comes first and I have that now, performance... well I know that x3100 doesn't have any pep for gaming but as long it doesn't tear my video's and doesn't choke on compiz - me happy

omg ubuntu again...slower than 9.04...9.04 was horrible, it's a *really* heavy regression...intel 2.8 works perfectly with other distri...what do they at canoncial??...how incompetent can they be??! don't get it...ok it's an early alpha version, but it's blind to hope for a heavy improvement...one more reason *not* to use ubuntu!

Like I ask on most of your articles, have you raised a bug for any of these regressions? Either on freedesktop or with ubuntu?

Also how do you know it's Mesa 7.5 that's the issue and not libdrm or the drm kernel driver?

MAybe if you spent some time talking to the developers on IRC and less time running the PTS some of these regressions would be fixed

Hope you reply to this

Mike

Thumbs up Good performance

Actually, using the Karmic alpha brings a very good experience from a users point of view. For example, when I connect an external monitor on my laptop, the desktop wasn't extended over the entire second screen, it was cut off somewhere in the middle of the screen. The new drivers fixed that issue, and also I can plug in my monitor, run the display tool from the prefs menu, and the external screen already turns on at the desired resolution before I actually press a button on the display dialog.
    Also, the desktop effects work fluently on Karmic, not choppy what-so-ever. Of course this is all subjective information and I'm sure that these tests get a more objective result for certain issues, but the user experience will increase with the next Ubuntu release. I wanted to send a thumbs up to the devvers involved, but Im not sure to use a bug report for that, therefore I'll do it here

Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    Like I ask on most of your articles, have you raised a bug for any of these regressions? Either on freedesktop or with ubuntu?

Also how do you know it's Mesa 7.5 that's the issue and not libdrm or the drm kernel driver?

MAybe if you spent some time talking to the developers on IRC and less time running the PTS some of these regressions would be fixed

Hope you reply to this

Mike

The author doesn't know. This article is completely mislabeled. It's comparing Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10 alpha 3. No other conclusion can be drawn.

Way too many variables changed to know where the bottle neck is. It would be interesting to run the tests with versions 2.6, 2.7 of the intel drivers against the same Ubuntu 9.10 alpha 3 release. Then we'd know something.

From what I've heard on the Arch Linux forums is that 2.8 runs much faster on the 2.6.31 kernel than it does on .30.

From my experience on Arch with Linux 2.6.30, I get 850fps on glxgears with 2.7 and 550 with 2.8.

I haven't been able to try 2.6.31 on that system because I wasn't paying attention when I bought the laptop and I ended up with a broadcom wifi chip, and the driver from AUR doesn't support 2.6.31 yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Regenwald View Post
    omg ubuntu again...slower than 9.04...9.04 was horrible, it's a *really* heavy regression...intel 2.8 works perfectly with other distri...what do they at canoncial??...how incompetent can they be??! don't get it...ok it's an early alpha version, but it's blind to hope for a heavy improvement...one more reason *not* to use ubuntu!
    Ubuntu 9.04 was easily the best Ubuntu release to date. No, I don't have an Intel IGP, but my two systems (laptop w/ nvidia running from a usb stick, desktop w/ ati on a regular hard drive) run better than 8.10 on all measurable accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by L33F3R View Post
    Thats crap FPS.
    It's an Intel IGP what did you expect? Shared memory tends to kill fps.

Default I hope they get it right for Koala

Jaunty was the worst release for me so far. I experience terrible graphics performance (yes, Intel chipset) and regressions with sound (low volume, no physical volume control).

Given the popularity of Intel chipsets on low cost laptops it is hard to believe Jaunty was released - a good argument for releasing when something is ready rather than a regular date.

I hope Koala shapes up to be a better release but this time around I will wait before doing a clean install to see if the important things are fixed.

Nice to see some progress even if I don't have an Intel IGP.
    Hope the ati drivers will mature faster because the RS690M is no longer supported by Catalyst drivers. I want to go on with my old savegames.