AMD/ATI lost another Linux customer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
    Fedora isn't a modern distribution only a cow to milk for redhat ....

why is redhat not buy an VGA dev companie like VIA/S3 and make better and opensource drivers??

ah yes... redhat dosn't care abaut your litle dreams!

becourse redhat only makes mony on servers and workstations...

and thats the fakt servers and workstations do not care abaut modern distributions like fedora becourse fedora is only to melk cow's like you!
    seriously? do you realize how much development red hat does for the linux community? go read something about red hats contributions before you try to make yourself look like an idiot again. you obviously don't know anything about what red hat actually does.

Comment

• I recommend:
      gregkh_presentation_canonical.avi

Redhat does a lot. Novell does a lot. Ubuntu is a bunch of leeches.

Comment

• oh come one. Are you even believing that crap? Did you even try Con's schedulers? Yes, there were some nice ideas - but they were not so great like his fanboys claimed them to be. And Ingo did credit Con for the idea, when he wrote cfs. Con acted like a diva afterwards and his fanboys went into a rage - but fanboys never see the facts.
        I have tried Con's schedulers and I was among the first to test Ingo's scheduler. Ingo was a very nice person to work with - and his scheduler had real advantages compared to Con for me.

Redhat 'kills' only in the sense that they are pushing gnome and crap like hal and pulseaudio. But Redhat is also top contributor to:
        kernel
        gcc
        glibc
        binutils
        X
        alsa
        gnome

Now show me a working desktop without sound....

LSB was never meant to kill anybody. And how do you come to that idiotic 'meant to kill debian' conclusion? Please explain that. I am sure it is hilarious.

Comment

• your ability to ignore very important parts of an article is astounding.

To address this, the standard does not dictate what package format the software system must use for its own packages, merely that RPM must be supported to allow packages from third-party distributors to be installed on a conforming system.
          i'm guessing you've never heard of the debian package alien, which can install RPM's

the article does go on to note

the presence of the lsb-package "does not imply that we believe that Debian fully complies with the Linux Standard Base, and should not be construed as a statement that Debian is LSB-compliant." This theoretical possibility of Debian's non-compliance to LSB might be considered a valid criticism, however slight.
          but thats not really important. and having a single format that can be installed on every distribution but does not have to be the default format used by that distribution is a GOOD thing for the desktop. VERY GOOD.

it still allows distro's to use there own software while also allowing people to package a product that can be installed on all linuxes (assuming compatible libraries)

tell me how that is BAD for the desktop?

as for the kolivas thing, i see no meantion of red-hat in there - don't try to inject your own speculations as fact please, if you have another source that says it has soemthing to do with red hat, then use that one, but red hat does not run the linux kernel.

redhat supports game's for linux?
          red hats primary goal is obviously the workstation/server market - thats probably why they are in the line of buisness they are in. suggesting that is somehow makes them inherintly detrimental to linux is enourmously convoluted.

that said, actually, they employ one of the main nouveau driver devs. you know the open source nvidia drivers trying to bring 3d support - but i'm sure 3d support has nothing to do with helping out games, right? and thier early adoption of nouveau in fedora probably helped alot with testing the driver.

Fedora isn't a modern distribution only a cow to milk for redhat ....
          actually, its both - and its good for the linux community partly BECAUSE its a cow to mil for redhat - the fact that this is beyond you amazes me.
          Last edited by AdrenalineJunky; 10 August 2009, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
            that said, actually, they employ one of the main nouveau driver devs. you know the open source nvidia drivers trying to bring 3d support - but i'm sure 3d support has nothing to do with helping out games, right? and thier early adoption of nouveau in fedora probably helped alot with testing the driver.
            Not to forget the guy they have on radeon side. Not to drop any names or anything, he wouldn't probably care about this conversation in the slightest anyway. (RH employees seem to smartly steer away from this kind of flamebaits)
            Edit: Wonder if it'd be possible to have a mandatory drug testing before being allowed to use the Internet...
            Last edited by nanonyme; 10 August 2009, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Pushing kernel(linux) means kill BSD?

Pushing alsa means kill OSS ?

pushing gnome means kill KDE???

o yes i use KDE i hate gnome.. soo on my personal Point of view Redhat is my personal enemy.
              so what shall redhat do? not supporting the kernel? Whatever they do, you would cry bloody murder. And killing OSS? I hope that happens earlier than later. OSS was crap - and when I tried OSSv4 a few weeks ago, it was still crap. Crap fucking up my sound card pretty hard.

Comment

redhat supports an linux enemy... and why supporting an enemy? becourse redhat is the enemy!
                The biggest enemy of Linux really is lack of understanding, not some vendor or software producer, and of that I've seen an abundance of lately...

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  Not to forget the guy they have on radeon side. Not to drop any names or anything, he wouldn't probably care about this conversation in the slightest anyway. (RH employees seem to smartly steer away from this kind of flamebaits)
                  Edit: Wonder if it'd be possible to have a mandatory drug testing before being allowed to use the Internet...
                  oh, i actually didn't know they had a guy working on amd stuff as well, thats cool.

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  Yes support nvidia by redhat kills Opensource!

becourse if redhat Block nvidia hartware and go for support intel and amd for 100% on a long time period nvidia will lose the battel!

but in this way... fedora supports nvidia bin?ry driver to 100% and redhat pays dev's to build an opensource 3D driver for nvidia hartware..

redhat supports an linux enemy... and why supporting an enemy? becourse redhat is the enemy!
                  writing better open source drivers is.... a BAD thing?

you really expect anyone to believe that?

Comment

i agree but kde??? i think Gnome is Crap!
                    lots of people disagree with you. and you can get fedora in a kde version as well, just because they prefer gnome does not make them evil, or your enemy. thats absurd.

Comment

• Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
                      lots of people disagree with you. and you can get fedora in a kde version as well, just because they prefer gnome does not make them evil, or your enemy. thats absurd.
                      Hey, Ubuntu prefers Gnome too, they must be his enemy too then.

Comment

Working...
                      X