Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: GNOME 2.27.5 Released, Marks Feature Freeze

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    206

    Default

    I would maybe switch to KDE if it used 1/2 less of resources.

  2. #22

    Default

    It is said that GNOME is supposed to be "simple," "light," and "easy-to-use," but I see it is quite a levithian beast. Right now, a complete vanilla install is 1013.37 megabytes (826.22 without the games and Tomboy), not including some of the common libraries such as GTK2. There are not too much changes between GNOME releases, but, yet, it continues to grows larger.

    As for KDE, a complete vanilla KDE 4.2 install is 914.06 megabytes (643.12 without the games, education, and developer software), not including common libraries such as Qt. KDE is "kuite" heavy [hardware-wise] and comes with everything, including not only the kitchen sink, but an assortment of shiny deluxe-model kitchen appliances, too -- most of which many will probably never use. Despite this, it only requires nearly half (or a third) of the space that "simple," "light," and "easy-to-use" GNOME uses. I sense there is something wrong with this.
    Last edited by Wintervenom; 08-05-2009 at 04:49 AM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    270

    Default

    My humble 5 cents:
    I would like to point out that a certain OS with a certain desktop environment has a >90% market share, which makes me believe that some people actually like it.
    Maybe you guys should be comparing yourself to that standard instead of the unpopular "Linux" desktops.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Gnome? lol. I'de rather use Windows 98, it's their model anyways. Gnome has been created because Qt wasn't gpl, but now that qt is gpl what do gnome folks do? They close their eyes on it and slowly switching to MONO!

    GNOME is ridicolous and this fact demonstrates it.


    Last but not least this bullshit of GNOME being more stable than kde in the past was ridicolous! They use KDE3 even at the CERN. Idiots like to talk, but it's because they are too shy to admit they liked using Windows 98, that's why they use GNOME today.Oh, and MONO... they just love it and hated Qt. Funny.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    Oh, and MONO... they just love it and hated Qt. Funny.
    Yeah that is actually funny . Gnome based distros include mono by default for few apps that are claimed to be HOT stuff and on the other hand do not want to include Qt4 based apps even though there is quite a lot HOT stuff of Qt4 apps that are simply better then gtk+ alternatives.

    Mono/gtk# integrates nicely with GNOME, Qt4 also integrates nicely with GNOME... Qt4 has no legal problems, Mono has legal problems/controversy ...

    but wait Qt4 is from the 'K' camp ... that's the problem

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by val-gaav View Post
    Yeah that is actually funny . Gnome based distros include mono by default for few apps that are claimed to be HOT stuff and on the other hand do not want to include Qt4 based apps even though there is quite a lot HOT stuff of Qt4 apps that are simply better then gtk+ alternatives.
    Qualify that. Banshee, Tomboy, Gnome Do are what you call HOT stuff. Right now, there's no alternative that can stand up to those.

    Qt4 has no legal problems, Mono has legal problems/controversy ...
    Close, but not quite right. If you qualified that with "Qt4 has no *known* legal problems", you would have been right. Mono doesn't have any known legal problems either.

    Has anyone sued Mono for patent infringment? Has anyone even *threatened* to sue? Newsflash: Microsoft claims the Linux kernel infringes ~200 of its patents. If you consider those threats legitimate why are you even using the Linux kernel? If you don't consider them legitimate, why are you holding Mono to a different standard?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    Gnome? lol. I'de rather use Windows 98, it's their model anyways. Gnome has been created because Qt wasn't gpl, but now that qt is gpl what do gnome folks do? They close their eyes on it and slowly switching to MONO!

    GNOME is ridicolous and this fact demonstrates it.


    Last but not least this bullshit of GNOME being more stable than kde in the past was ridicolous! They use KDE3 even at the CERN. Idiots like to talk, but it's because they are too shy to admit they liked using Windows 98, that's why they use GNOME today.Oh, and MONO... they just love it and hated Qt. Funny.
    This post is a walking fallacy.

    -Gnome does not copy the win 98 model. Anyone who has actually used it can tell you otherwise. You obviously let your emotional fanboy tendencies get between your screen and your eyes.

    -Gnome users dont hate QT. It is simply a framework, most of us use whatever works best or what the application supports. Sometimes thats QT and other times thats GTK.

    Im not partisan. I loved KDE3 but im currently a gnome user because my distro uses it. I have no preference over either except that my experiences with KDE4 had been less than stellar.

    It almost seems like you are scared. You have an, us vs them mentality to you. Your arguments have no base except for MONO and thats because MONO is kicking ass right now.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Qualify that. Banshee, Tomboy, Gnome Do are what you call HOT stuff. Right now, there's no alternative that can stand up to those.
    I have never used Gnome Do or Tomboy but Amorok is way better then Banshee ... most people consider Amarok to be the no 1 linux player, just like Firefox is considered the no 1 browser.

    Has anyone sued Mono for patent infringment? Has anyone even *threatened* to sue? Newsflash: Microsoft claims the Linux kernel infringes ~200 of its patents. If you consider those threats legitimate why are you even using the Linux kernel? If you don't consider them legitimate, why are you holding Mono to a different standard?
    I bolded the important thing for you. So using technology from a company that makes such statements is as safe as using Qt ? Now did QtSoftware ever said Linux infringes patents?


    I just find it funny how Gnome based distros do not include Qt4 apps in default install, because of extra space/dependency issue while on the other hand "controversial" mono is ok even though it is an extra dependency... If they stayed with pure GTK+ apps I would shut up...
    Last edited by val-gaav; 07-31-2009 at 11:59 AM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by val-gaav View Post

    I just find it funny how Gnome based distros do not include Qt4 apps in default install, because of extra space/dependency issue while on the other hand "controversial" mono is ok even though it is an extra dependency... If they stayed with pure GTK+ apps I would shut up...
    Exactly. They tell that I'm a fanboy when they are the ones that ignore GPL serious framework like Qt and switch to Mono.

    Gnome is ridicolous.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    seems more of an attack on MONO then an attack on gnome. Large corporations make stupid claims all the time. Microsoft tried to sue some web developer over some domain name, luckily they lost. c# is a great language and thats undeniable. Sure its not as fast as c++ and maybe not as easy as python but its good at what it does.

    Bottom line, I CLAIM to be the smartest person in the world. What separates claims and reality is that claims have no standing without evidence. Reasons exist for microshaft not actually acting on your presumed 200 claims.

    BTW, praying to the mighty GPL doesnt help your argument, it just makes you look like a religious freak. instead of comparing gnome to kde and how inferior gnome is i suggest you spend your time and help contribute. KDE4 has been performing bad (havent tried RC3, as it says, RC) but it has lost serious ground and thats undeniable. Simply saying your enemy sucks doesn't make you better, microsoft has been employing this as an advertisement tactic for years. it simply doesn't work and is counterproductive.

    As it stands current gnome is better then current "stable" KDE. Stability is the key factor in this. If you want to pit KDE3 against gnome then you have an argument. Until your "side" (kuz you clearly want to wage a desktop war) can make a truly stable release you have nothing. I myself will be waiting for 4.3's release.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •