Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 2.27.5 Released, Marks Feature Freeze

Phoronix: GNOME 2.27.5 Released, Marks Feature Freeze

Vincent Untz has announced the release of GNOME 2.27.5. This unstable release of GNOME in the road to GNOME 2.28.0 also marks the entering of the feature freeze for this bi-annual update to GNOME...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i'm considering switching to KDE 4.3
    gnome hasn't really changed much in years

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
      i'm considering switching to KDE 4.3
      I highly recommend it. GNOME has basically become stagnated. I think the only reason most people use GNOME is because several big distros (*ahem* ubuntu *ahem*) force it on them.

I am a proud user of Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic and KDE 4.3.

Comment

That's part of its appeal to some.

Comment

I highly recommend it.
          I don't. I prefer to use something that works vs something that tries to be fancy and doesn't.

If you want something to play around then that is something else entirely and I can understand KDE's attraction.

GNOME has basically become stagnated.
          No it has not. If you think that Gnome hasn't changed or improved in the past few years it's only because you haven't used it during that time.

I think the only reason most people use GNOME is because several big distros (*ahem* ubuntu *ahem*) force it on them.
          Most people want a desktop that works and is able to provide the necessary services without spending a large amount of time with configuration settings and mucking about.

Ubuntu uses Gnome because now Gnome is the standard Linux desktop and has actually gone through some real usability testing and analysis. It's not perfect, but it's the easiest to use desktop out there for Linux right now.

And with Gnome 3.0 coming down the wire they are going to start proving that you can revamp a desktop's graphics create a more modern UI without breaking everything and starting nearly from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
            Ubuntu uses Gnome because now Gnome is the standard Linux desktop.
            Please show me ANYTHING to support "Gnome is the standard Linux desktop"

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Please show me ANYTHING to support "Gnome is the standard Linux desktop"

Just to get the first part out of the way:

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

stand⋅ard
                /ˈst?ndərd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [stan-derd] Show IPA
              Use standard in a Sentence
              ?noun
              1. something considered by an authority or by general consent as a basis of comparison; an approved model.
              2. an object that is regarded as the usual or most common size or form of its kind: We stock the deluxe models as well as the standards.

http://moblin.org/ -- based on Gnome stuff
              http://maemo.org/ -- Gnome stuff.

Debian -- Largest and oldest non-for-profit Linux distro in existance. Default desktop is Gnome.

Ubuntu -- Currently the most popular desktop distro. Based on Debian. Default desktop is Gnome

Redhat/CentOS/Scientific Linux/Unbreakable Linux/(and other Redhat clones) -- The premier 'Enterprise' operating system for large businesses that require support from a vendor and certified platforms for running their software. Default desktop is Gnome.

Novel's Linux systems... Novell desktop, OpenSuse, SLED, etc etc -- The secondary 'Enterprise' operating system for large businesses (etc etc). Default desktop is Gnome.

Fedora -- Most 'cutting edge' distro. Essentionally a playground for developers and is used for testing software for inclusion into future Redhat releases. Gnome by default.

etc. etc. etc.

'Standard' as in 'most common' the 'default' etc etc.

Most of those systems can run KDE just fine. Just like they can run LXDE, XFCE, Fluxbox, or half a dozen other desktop environments. But Gnome/GTK is going to be the most common.

Comment

I don't. I prefer to use something that works vs something that tries to be fancy and doesn't.

If you want something to play around then that is something else entirely and I can understand KDE's attraction.
                KDE 4.x is not Windows Vista. It is full-featured, stable, and a pleasure to use. In the way of features, it has practically reached the feature level of KDE 3.x. Not to mention that GNOME, ever since 2.x, has had the same feature-removal attitude as MacOS. Most Linux users are geeks, and most geeks like to configure the settings their own way, rather than accepting the default set by some programmer. In KDE you can do that, but in GNOME you can't even configure the settings for the screensaver hacks in GNOME-screensaver. If users don't like to configure the settings, then they should just ignore them. It shouldn't be required for the settings to be removed or made inaccessible. In the way of stability, I have never had a crash of any of the core KDE components (plasma, kwin, etc) since KDE 4.1.

And GNOME is not in any way the "standard" Linux desktop environment. There is no "standard" Linux desktop environment. There are standards for Linux desktop environments, which both KDE and GNOME follow to some degree. In almost every KDE vs GNOME poll I have seen on this site and others, KDE wins, sometimes even by a large margin.

Comment

Just to get the first part out of the way:

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

stand⋅ard
                    /ˈst?ndərd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [stan-derd] Show IPA
                  Use standard in a Sentence
                  ?noun
                  1. something considered by an authority or by general consent as a basis of comparison; an approved model.
                  2. an object that is regarded as the usual or most common size or form of its kind: We stock the deluxe models as well as the standards.

http://moblin.org/ -- based on Gnome stuff
                  http://maemo.org/ -- Gnome stuff.

Debian -- Largest and oldest non-for-profit Linux distro in existance. Default desktop is Gnome.

Ubuntu -- Currently the most popular desktop distro. Based on Debian. Default desktop is Gnome

Redhat/CentOS/Scientific Linux/Unbreakable Linux/(and other Redhat clones) -- The premier 'Enterprise' operating system for large businesses that require support from a vendor and certified platforms for running their software. Default desktop is Gnome.

Novel's Linux systems... Novell desktop, OpenSuse, SLED, etc etc -- The secondary 'Enterprise' operating system for large businesses (etc etc). Default desktop is Gnome.

Fedora -- Most 'cutting edge' distro. Essentionally a playground for developers and is used for testing software for inclusion into future Redhat releases. Gnome by default.

etc. etc. etc.

'Standard' as in 'most common' the 'default' etc etc.

Most of those systems can run KDE just fine. Just like they can run LXDE, XFCE, Fluxbox, or half a dozen other desktop environments. But Gnome/GTK is going to be the most common.

Sorry but openSUSE has no standard, free choice of either. User selects. SLED carries both packages as well with the the user being able to choose either. In fact over 70% of opensuse users select KDE. default!=standard.

default = a preset setting or value

There are also many other distro's that use KDE by default as well. In fact if you look at the top 20 distro's over at distro watch you will see that there are many that are kde flavored as well as well as minimalist distro's.

Gnome maybe A standard desktop but it is not THE standard linux desktop. In fact most surveys you see show KDE still hold most of the marketshare of installed systems. Like it or not it's the truth. Gnome is no more the standard linux desktop then Dell is the standard server.

In fact real standards that do exist in linux make absolutely no mention of what desktop is to be used. The LSB for example does not say "Gnome is the standard".

Comment

well im no going into the whole standards debate but i will say this.

The reason I use linux is so that my computer works for me, not so i work for my computer. If i wanted a pretty/buggy desktop I will go ahead and reinstall windows. Dont say KDE4 isn't buggy because in comparison to gnome it might as well be windows. KDE 3 is fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X