802.11n Slips to 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 802.11n Slips to 2008

Users waiting for Wi-Fi kit faster than current 802.11a/b/g hardware had their hopes dashed when ratification of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) 802.11n standard was delayed yet again this week.

A draft specification was approved in January 2006, after arguments between the chipset manufacturers. A new draft standard was expected this autumn, but has been pushed back to early 2007 due to the large number of comments submitted.

Rolf Devegt, senior director of business development at Airgo Networks, argued that the Wi-Fi Alliance should begin 801.11n interoperability testing now to avoid even more delays. "Typically the Wi-Fi Alliance starts interoperability certification after standard ratification, but they should start certification before the standard is ratified, like they did with the 802.11i standard."

What is everyone's thoughts on 802.11n?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Rates over 100Mbit/s have been touted, with some tests giving over 300Mbit/s. However, recent IT Week tests of early 802.11n kit found transfer rates well below 100Mbit/s, and discovered problems with backwards compatibility and support for the latest security standards.
    100Mbs in a wireless network would be fantastic. But I'm not really in a rush to use it, and if the release date needs to be pushed to tweak stuff then that's fine. I'd rather have a working product in '08 than a finicky paperweight now.

Comment

Personally, I'm just itching to buy an n-Enabled router as soon as I get some cash together.

Comment

Working...
      X